Part 4: Work

Michael slammed the door of the studio behind us. He sat in a chair. "Ugh. I need to get a new manager," he grumbled.

I settled in the other chair. "When are your brothers coming?" I asked, right when the door opened and Marlon walked in.

"Randy and Tito are talking to Mother, and Jackie's on his way," he told Michael. "Hey, Lily. What are you doing here, girl?"

"I was hanging out with Mike, but Joseph said I had to contribute to today's work if I wanted to stay," I explained. "And Mike's convinced that I have some vocal talent." I laughed.

"Well, lemme hear," said Marlon.

I shook my head. "No thanks. I'll stick with dancing."

"And we're getting you on drums soon," Michael put in. He looked at his brother excitedly. "She made up a drum part for a track I'm putting together."

"I just tapped my feet," I said sheepishly.

"It was the most intricate foot-tapping I've ever witnessed," Michael scoffed.

"Well, can I listen?" Randy said. He had come in without us noticing. Tito was behind him. "Jackie's inside. Probably eating the cookies," he laughed.

I hugged them Tito, who was like my protector all through our childhood. Randy looked at his shoes awkwardly. He had a helpless crush on me.

Being a good sport, I hugged him too. Jackie burst through the door at that moment and whistled. "Lily!" He patted me on the back.

Michael stood up and moved closer to me. "Do you guys have any pre-written songs that you wanna go over first?" he questioned. His arm grazed against mine when he reached for a paper that Marlon held out. I felt weak for a second. These unexpected touches got my heart racing every time.

The brothers went into the recording booth. I turned the speakers on.

Mike read the first song. "Randy wrote this?" He looked at his younger brother, who nodded eagerly. Michael smiled. "I love it." But he grabbed a pencil and added something. "It just needs a couple adjustments."

Marlon, Tito, Jackie, Randy, and Michael put on their headphones in unison.

Michael nodded to me, entrusting me with finding a good instrumental on the soundboard. There were some already-made ones.

I played around with one of the tracks, highlighting the horns. It made it sound more like a Jacksons song. When I was done, I pressed play. They all did their own thing, bobbing and swaying. I giggled.

"Why don't you believe me when I say that I love you?" Michael sang into the mic with his clear, high voice.

"I'm crazy 'bout ya," the brothers harmonized.

They hummed to fill in for missing lyrics, until the chorus.

"You are my, you are my, you are my lovely one..." They repeated it multiple times, and then Jackie waves for me to stop the track. I clicked the button. The brothers filed out of the booth. "It's too small, I can't get a good vibe in there," Tito complained. They all made noises of agreement.

"Well, tell Joseph that," I sighed. They were so picky sometimes.

Michael dragged me out of there by the hand without another word. He took me into a nearby shed. "Girl, I don't why, but you look so sexy in the studio," he panted. "Mike! Your brothers are here! You can't just take me into a shed and have your way with me!" I chuckled.

He backed up a little. "I really just wanted to be with you alone before we left," he admitted.

"You're leaving?" I gasped.

"We're flying to the studio in New York, I know it. They're probably setting it up right now. That's where we vibe best. Joseph won't let us take a break until we have at least one song done. Lily, that could take days." Michael teared up a little.

"So? My parents left today for a week. I'm 21. I can go with you," I said.

"Joseph won't allow you."

I rolled my eyes. "He made me a part of this album when he told me to make a contribution. I'm legally able to go with you," I responded.

Michael wrapped his arms around me. I buried my face into his shoulder. "Let's go tell the others our plan," he whispered.

I opened the door and we strolled across the lawn. Randy didn't meet my eyes. Tito and Jackie were trying not to laugh. Marlon was the only one ready to speak. "You guys satisfied now?" he snickered.

Michael blushed. "We weren't doing that!" he defended us fiercely.

"Doing what, Mike?" Tito queried in mock innocence.

"Come on, guys, we're not Joseph. Why didn't you tell us you guys were together?" Jackie continued on.

"How did you know?" My face flushed. Michael decided to put his arm around my waist and pull me close to his side. He planted a kiss on my head. I guess there was nothing to hide or deny anymore.

Randy picked at his shirt with new-found interest.

"You mean other than just now? The looks made it obvious," Jackie explained.

I half-smiled. We didn't have to act so secretive.

Randy cleared his throat. "We called the jet. We're going to New York tonight."

"Lily's coming," Mike informed them. "She's a part of the album now." His brevity deflated. "Is Joseph coming with us?"

Tito shook his head. "He just told us to stay focused." He shrugged.

I relaxed a little. I kissed Michael's cheek. "I'm gonna go pack and stuff, okay? Pick me up on the way to the airport." With a wave to everyone, I slipped through the fence and walked up my driveway.