Part 9: Album

The door slammed shut. "You almost ready to go?" I said.

"Yeah."

"Do you have the lyric sheets?"

"Yep."

"Tape recorder?"

"Yes!" Michael shook his head with exasperation.

"I just wanted to make sure we didn't have to come back to get anything." I put my arms around his neck and kissed his nose.

He smiled in a naughty way. "You forgetting something?"

I was confused. I felt around in my pockets. "No, why?"

Michael lifted his arm. Hanging off his index finger were my panties from last night. I gasped and tried to snatch them back. He cackled and held them above my head.

I looked at him with a sudden lust. "Mike, baby..." I kissed him softly. He relaxed and focused on us.

My fingers wrapped slowly around my underwear. I pulled them right out of his hand. I then backed up and locked them in my suitcase.

"Now, let's go!" I snapped. I pushed Mike out the door and down to the lobby.

He put my head on his chest and walked to the limo, ignoring the flashes of the cameras around us. I shielded my face. Luckily there were only three of them.

"Michael, is that your girlfriend?"

"What's her name?"

"Let her show her face, Michael!"

The questions were making my head spin. I closed my eyes. Mike stopped for a second.

"No comment. This isn't an interview." His voice was calm, but had a hint of anger in it. He was subtly warning the cameramen to back off.

I ducked and climbed into the limo, my identity still hidden.

"Damn paparazzi," I heard Randy say. Everyone else hummed an agreement.

"How long are we working?" I snuggled close to Michael.

"Until we finish a song," Jackie answered.

Mike's fingers ran through my hair repeatedly. It was a soothing feeling. I sunk even closer to him.

The peaceful moment was interrupted by the stares we were getting. "What?" I grumbled.

The brothers shook their heads. They were definitely expecting us to do something dirty right there.

I looked out the window. The limo halted in front of a small building. A neon sign that read "Studio" hung in the front window.

I opened the car door and rushed inside the studio, barely stepping on the sidewalk. Everyone followed me in. The building looked a lot bigger on the inside. Everything seemed mellow, from the colors on the walls to the people.

I walked past the front desk. "Excuse me," a boring voice toned behind me.

I whirled on one heel and tried to seem nice. I wanted to get this album done.

"Who are you?" the lady sitting at the desk demanded. She was wearing a navy blouse and a white pencil skirt. She looked at me over her glasses.

"She's with me," said Michael firmly. He caught up to me. The receptionist smiled. The fawning look in her eyes disgusted me.

"Of course. Is she your new bodyguard?" I could practically hear the smirk in the woman's voice.

"No, she's working on the album with us, Jane." Michael's eyes blazed. He threw his arm over my shoulders and kissed my cheek.

"I'm a percussionist," I explained. My arm was on Michael's hips.

"And his girlfriend," Marlon cut in. "Guess you don't have a chance with Mike anymore."

Jane narrowed her eyes at me. "I'm gonna need to see some ID."

"Motherf...we've brought all sorts of people into the studio before, Jane. I'm sorry that I'm taken." Mike's voice shook with irritation. He walked on with me, his brothers trailing behind.

I sat in the outer part of the recording booth. Randy, Michael, Jackie, Marlon, and Tito took their places inside. They put on headphones.

I played the track for the first song. They sang the lyrics I handed them. Even without the sound, they looked amazing. They handled their music so professionally.

I started to doze off after about half an hour.

Something hit my head. I woke up. My neck ached like hell. "What?"

"We're done for the day," Randy informed me.

I rose from the chair and scratched my arm. "Okay, let's get out of here before Jane decides to murder me."

I walked out of the booth, knowing I would be followed.