Part 5: Travel

My parents didn't lock the door, so I just walked in. In my room, I dug a suitcase out from under my bed. I started tossing clothes in it. A bikini was put underneath everything, just in case we went swimming at the hotel. If we had time, of course.

Another bag was used for anything else I needed. This included my most cherished item, a stuffed lamb I'd had all my life. I tucked it carefully in the bag and zippered it.

I carried my bags down the stairs and rested them against the wall next to the front door. The grandfather clock in the front hall chimed. It was now 5 o'clock in the evening. We had to be at the airport by 6.

I picked up one of my favorite classic novels, Peter Pan. Sitting in a nearby chair, I absorbed myself in reading. The doorbell rang. My heart jumped.

I opened the door without looking through the window. A limo was parked halfway up my driveway. But the first thing I noticed was Michael standing in front of me, beaming. "Come on, let's go!" He took my bags and ran to the limo, cackling like a madman. I took off after him. He was always faster than me.

Why was he so happy?

My eyes quickly adjusted to the dim light inside the limousine. "Where are your brothers?" I asked. Except for the driver, it was just us.

"In the other limo," Michael answered nonchalantly. "They insisted on giving us space." He snorted and closed the privacy window that separated us from the driver. "Bill's off today, so we don't need to keep that open."

"Why are you so excited?" I settled into my seat.

Mike scooted closer. "Because I'm alone with the most beautiful girl in the world," he replied softly. I felt him sigh next to my face. Dear god, I don't know how he had so much self-control. I sure as hell didn't.

I jumped on his lap, straddling him. "Damn, Mikey. You really are a charmer," I giggled in a breathy tone.

Michael shook his head. "You're so dirty, girl."

"Prove it." Those two words in his ear froze time for a moment. Then suddenly I was on the floor being gently but firmly pinned down.

"Why is it your goal to torture me?" he laughed.

"It's not torture. I like to call it not-so-subtle hints." I smirked. I arched my back teasingly, closing my eyes and inhaling blissfully.

Mike's lips connected with my neck. "Dirty girl," he repeated between kisses.

A knock on the door made us both jump up. "Dammit."

Michael got up and opened the door. I scrambled off the floor. The driver told me that my bags were already on the plane. I nodded and walked hand in hand with Michael.

His grip got tighter as we approached the plane steps. It was on the small runway waiting for us. Tito, Jackie, Marlon, and Randy entered before us. I felt Michael start to get slower. I grabbed his arm with both my hands and dragged him inside. He shook with fear. "Michael," I growled sternly. "You've been on a plane enough times to know it's fine."

We sat in our seats. The flight attendant gave us a broad smile when she came over. "Would you like anything to drink?" she asked, eyeing Michael in a way that made me feel protective. I entwined my fingers with his. "May I have ginger ale please?" I answered kindly. She went into the front of the plane to get it.

I ran my free hand over Michael's short afro. He rested his head on my shoulder. "I hate planes."

I frowned. He sounded so defeated. The stewardess returned with my drink. I set it on the tray table. "Mikey, why don't you sing a song? I have trouble sleeping on planes," I lied. I wasn't even tired. But if I was lucky, he would sing himself to sleep. "How about that song from 'Off the Wall'? My favorite one."

Mike cleared his throat. "Looking in my mirror, took me by surprise, I can't help but see you, running often through my mind..." By the time he reached the chorus, he was mumbling it. Finally, he sang his last "I can't help it, if I wanted to" and drifted off into a dream.

I looked back behind us, where Mike's brothers were scattered in the seats. They were all snoozing. I half-smiled.

Before I knew it, the 6 hours were over. Michael slept the entire time.

We landed smoothly. The brothers filed out of the plane. I poked Michael's face until he opened his eyes a little. I basically carried him into a new limo.

This time we rode with everyone else, so it was silent. I stared out the tinted window. It was late at night. All I could see was bright lights.

We stopped in front of a beautiful hotel. The driver gave everyone hats. I was given a translucent scarf to put over my head. We were going to get in unrecognized.

Michael, now awake, took my hand in his for what seemed like the hundredth time today. "I'm sorry you have to do this. But we can't have us be on the front of every magazine and newspaper. I know you want privacy." He placed the scarf over my head and started a quiet countdown.

A few paparazzi were already there. On "one", I leaped out of the open door. Bright flashes stunned me. I struggled to keep my head down. A warm, reassuring hand grasped my arm and guided me inside. I caught my breath as we checked in. In the elevator, I stood in silence, trying to calm down. That was intense.

The doors clicked open. I stepped into the hallway. The entire floor was ours, I was told. I grinned. This weekend was going to be great.