𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭.

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

KNOWING ALL THE THINGS YOU JUST ESCAPED!
↳ chapter eight.

Sunlight escaped through the cracks of closed blinds, pouring into the infirmary, though it remained dimly lit

Sunlight escaped through the cracks of closed blinds, pouring into the infirmary, though it remained dimly lit. The rays drew beaming lines across the floor, easily broken by the shadow of Siddiq's figure as he paced the sturdy hardwood. Warmth didn't reside in the small building that smelled freshly of citrus cleaner, a blend of orange and lemon that quickly overstayed its welcome, strong enough within the confined space to overpower even the definite wreaking of the undead.

At first, Madi had enjoyed the fruitful scent. But, after spending a single hour alongside it, she'd grown tired of the homespun disinfectant. And after several hours, in recovery with its presence constantly lingering, she'd begun to hate it. Her head subtly ached, each breath feeling more intoxicating than refreshing, a calm nausea settled in her stomach as she'd officially gotten sick of the aroma. At least it served to distract her from the pulsating throbs in her skull, the sharp pain of her open cuts; the agony that spread across her body marked by gruesome bruises.

She tried not to voice her discomfort, leaving it inaudible despite the way she longed to cry out from the utter miserableness that haunted her bones. Instead, curled up into a ball, she watched as the doctor walked aimlessly before her, scribbling on a notepad with a blue pen, filling in a series of checkboxes. She was almost surprised he didn't accidentally freeze the ink, his brown skin always cold to the touch. "And, your heart rate is, regulated." The man drew out the duration of certain words upon processing the question, determining the answer.

When he flicked the metal tip across the form's final request, Siddiq looked back at Madi, who'd been alone through the process for the past two hours upon telling both Daryl Dixon and Troy Otto to go home. She didn't want to be seen this way, that was part of it; as was her conscience, guilt plaguing her after what had happened to Lydia. She just wanted everyone to focus on the taller girl, her condition; rather than her own failures as a partner. Siddiq was the only one keeping her company, and that was only because he was one of the two medics at Alexandria. He frowned when he noticed her shattered demeanor, the way she hugged herself. He quickly recognised it as a self-soothing gesture, an attempt to relax, when he saw the girl rubbing her bicep with her palm. "Madi?" He addressed her without thinking it through, breaking her from her slight trance. Curiosity carried quite obviously in her expression, she glanced up at him, watching as he took a few steps forward, nearing her, "Hey. You okay, kid?"

His dark eyes were gentle as ever, the handsome lad still acquiring the usual friendliness that radiated from him, a soft smile tugging at the corners of his hydrated lips. Per usual, he proved his kindness. Black locks were tied into a knot upon his head, concern made visible by his raised brows, the hair thick, almost mimicking the appearance of two caterpillars across the almond skin of his tanned face. They fit him well, though, not hideously. In fact, he was a sight to see; Madi had always believed so. He was attractive, his looks certainly pretty. But, far beyond that, he had a beautiful soul.