𝐭𝐞𝐧.

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

ON A LITTLE BOAT THAT YOU MADE!
↳ chapter ten.

The sun was scorching, bringing flames to the living hell that the planet had become

The sun was scorching, bringing flames to the living hell that the planet had become. It was surely what mankind deserved, after all they'd done, everything they'd inflicted upon themselves, upon each other, and upon the many beings that'd become corrupted by their greed. Truly, it knew no bounds, their constant yearning for more than what they had. All the land in the world would never be enough, no amount of belongings and no happiness ever genuinely sufficient.

There was no doubt that the bible's apocalypse had begun, not for people of faith, who believed that even their own cruelty was worthy of reprimanding. Whether there was an underworld or not, whether souls were temporary or they continued on eternally in a place beyond the limitations of the universe; what happened after death didn't matter much anymore. Hilltop was simply a fairytale, everyone who resided there deluded enough to believe that things were going to be any different for them than they'd been for similar communities. No, as far as Madi Walsh could see, adults started playing make believe when they could no longer handle the truth.

It was hard enough to stay alive, the way things were. In the case that there was a Hell, if it really existed, those with uncertainty didn't really care about suffering such a consequence. Because how much worse could it get, anyways? Already, it felt like they were being punished for something. Another day, another life lost. The people they loved were constantly ripped away, taken from them, a force unknown trying to teach them some sort of lesson, akin to a frustrated parent taking away their children's toy.

In that sense, Negan had just taken a timeout for his misbehaviour. A long and painful timeout, where all he could do was watch everybody else enjoy their recess. That was all. He was out now, at least. It wasn't what he deserved, but it was a start towards it, Madi supposed. Regardless of what Alexandria thought about it, he'd served his time. She just wished she could've been a part of whatever life he was going to build. Even if she hated the way things were, hated him for it, she also understood that they were done. What they had built, the bond that they had shared; that was over now. He didn't want her anymore. He'd grown sick, the same way anyone would. Really, the time that he had stayed, that he had invested in her; it was more than most people would've done.

"Hey." Alden's voice sounded from beside her, and she turned to see him approaching. Madi repeated his greeting back to him, offering a tight smile. She had left to clear her conscience, supposed to use her time at The Hilltop to get her mind off of things and sober up long enough that she could figure out how to do that. It was something along those lines, what Siddiq had told her. He'd been the one to suggest she accompany him and Daryl to Hilltop, hoping that it'd get her away from the environment she'd become a part of in Alexandria, and when she declined the offer, he essentially blackmailed her. Deal was; she went to Hilltop for a while, and the Dixon man didn't hear about what she'd been up to.