𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞.

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

DRIVE ALL NIGHT TO KEEP YOU WARM
↳ chapter nine

"During the first couple of years, we would still scavenge the nearby town

"During the first couple of years, we would still scavenge the nearby town.." Madi explained, her aching head rested against the cold, stone wall of her cell. And then she chuckled as she continued, "It was pointless. Every single store had been cleared out forever ago. But, he insisted that we look. Probably just because I said that we shouldn't."

Lydia sat in her cell as well, propped against the wall nearest to the bars, wedged into the corner between the stone and border of metal poles.

As she closely listened to the Walsh girl, she nervously picked at her dirtied nails, anxiously nawing on her bottom lip.

"And one day, we were at this pharmacy when these men-- these people I used to know..." Madi trailed off, remembering the day quite clearly.

"I can handle this, Daryl. I know them." Madi told the man, her lowered voice barely even a whisper. She and the last remaining Dixon crouched below the front counter, hidden by the sufficient cover that it created.

Daryl shook his head at the girl for what had to be the tenth time that day. Again, as she began to rise into full height, he pulled her down onto the floor beside him. "What'd I tell you, huh?" He questioned quite harshly.

"We weren't as close as we are now.. He was a total asshole, and so was I." Madi shrugged her shoulders at the simple truth of the matter.

During the first two years, Daryl would rarely say a kind word, if he spoke at all; and after about a year of persistence and out-of-character jokes that only Negan would've ever laughed at, Madi had eventually given up on trying to converse with the man.

When Madi didn't reply, only offering him a scowl, Daryl repeated himself. "What'd I tell you, girl?" He questioned. Madi swore she'd never heard anyone sound more like an upset father. And she'd never heard anyone else say the simple pronoun 'girl' in such an aggressive way.

"You told me to hide." The teen rolled her eyes at him, huffing her words in obvious annoyance. She didn't understand Daryl's orders, unaware that the man was simply unsure of what authority Madi actually held nowadays.

For all he knew, the girl would either be killed on sight; or asked to join the rebellion. And, some deep, hidden part of him really didn't want the snarky teenager to leave. If she did, then he'd be left utterly alone.

Daryl sighed at her clear distaste of his choice, diverting his attention to the locked door that separated the front counterspace from the shop and isles.