𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞.

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

SHE'S NOT LIKE ME AND YOU
↳ chapter nine

"You okay?" Madi asked, stepping into Daryl's cell as she did almost every day

"You okay?" Madi asked, stepping into Daryl's cell as she did almost every day. He looked up at her from his seat on the cold, metal ground. In her hands, she held a two bags, one with corn chips, the other with a sandwich. She tossed them each to the man, smiling lightly.

He mumbled a quiet thank you before grabbing the food, opening the sandwich bag. After taking a bite of it, he looked at her with wide eyes. "What the hell's on this thing?" He wondered, and Madi grinned at him, giggling sweetly.

"You like those sugar candies? The straws?" She asked him, and he licked the literal sugar from his lips, furrowing his eyebrows at her and shrugging.

Madi sighed and leaned against the doorframe, "Well, I've been trying to give you nutrients and vitamins and shit. Sugars got something called 'gluecoss'?" She pronounced the word messily, having read it from one of the books in Dr Carson's office.

Daryl chuckled at her, "Glucose?" He corrected and the girl nodded her head, opening her mouth to talk when something in her backpack emitted a muffled noise, grabbing her attention.

"Madi?" Carl's voice rang through her walki-talki, causing her to excuse herself, closing Daryl's cell door and picking up her bookbag, sliding it over her shoulder.

She scurried off and out of the hall, skipping up the stairs. "Madi!" A loud, booming voice interrupted her, making her pause in her steps. The brunette turned back to face the man, sighing.

"Yes?" She huffed, crossing her arms over her chest and looking up at Simon with a blank expression. They'd moved past her stabbing him a few years ago, and he actually liked the girl now.

"Hilltop today, we're leaving in thirty." He reminded her, and she nodded to him, waiting for him to walk off before she moved to get into her room. When she reached the private quarter, she huffed, leaning against the heavy bedroom door that no one dared to enter until she said otherwise.

She pulled the radio from her sack, dropping the bag on the floor by her entrance, and held it to her mouth as she moved to the farthest end of the room, near the pretty window seat. She sat at it, looking out into the clear view over The Sanctuary.

"Carl?" She questioned, speaking into the mic as she did so. He'd given her the device before she left, shoving it into her hands when they were alone and walking away before she could object or ask him anything. They'd talk sometimes, when he got lonely because there weren't many kids his age around, or when he was bored, unable to do anything.