51

Early the next morning, I wake to a burning feeling moving up my throat. I rush into the bathroom and throw up. Violently. I look over as Natasha enters and her eyes widen and she rushes to me and pulls my hair back as I violently heave.

"Are you alright?" she asks, rubbing my back with her other hand.

I nod once the feeling subsides; I wipe my mouth with the toilet paper she hands me and flush the toilet before going and brushing my teeth. Natasha leans against the wall, arms folded.

"Tell the truth. Are you alright?"

I nod "It's nothing."

She shakes her head "You don't throw up for nothing, Nadya."

I sigh "I'm fine Nat, don't worry about it."

I hear her sigh as I walk out of the bathroom. I enter my room to find Luka still asleep. I smile at my son before going to get dressed and shower.

I dress in a red and black snake print turtleneck top with quarter length sleeves, distressed blue skinny jeans, a dark red suede jacket, black studded combat boots, and my usual jewelry. I pull my curls up into a ponytail before leaving my room.

I find Steve watching the news report on the events in Lagos from a month ago. It was an all-around bad situation from what I heard.

"Hey," I say.

He looks over at me a moment "Hey, Luka still asleep?"

I nod, and he smiles a bit, but we look back at the report.

"11 Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria, last month. The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission in Lagos when the attack occurred." A news anchor says.

The screen shows some videos of what happened then shows the Wakandan king T'Chaka speaking, the man who has been like a father to me since I was ten.

"Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil." King T'Chaka says, "Not only because of the actions of criminals, but by the indifference of those pledged to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent is no victory at all."

"The Wakanda king went on to..." the anchor says before Steve turns it off.

We share a look as the sound drifts toward us from another room.

"They are operating outside and above the international law. Because that's the reality, if we don't respond to acts like these." a second news anchor says.

We find Wanda sitting on her bed, watching the news on her TV.

"What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff have to operate in Nigeri -" the news anchor says.

The TV turns off. Steve sets the remote down and leans on the door frame. I stand next to him, arms also folded.

"It's my fault," Wanda says from her spot.

"That's not true," Steve says.

"Turn the TV back on. They're being very specific."

"I should've clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it."

He walks over. I follow close behind.