69

As Bucky and I bolt, Iron Man fires, but misses. Steve land in front of him. Bucky hits a control panel as both of us look up and see the silo-styled door overhead start to open, much to our relief. And we start for the opening, leaping onto the platforms, the way I got out so long ago.

"It wasn't him, Tony," Steve yells. "Hydra had control of his mind!"

"Move!" Dad demands.

"It wasn't him!"

Iron Man block Steve by shooting down some rubble, then falteringly flies up the tower.

"Left boot jet failing." FRIDAY says "Flight systems compromised."

"Ah, crap," Dad says.

Above him, Bucky and I leap from platform to platform. With stuttering jets, Iron Man gives chase, as Bucky jumps to the next platform, hanging on, about to pull himself up Dad flies up and kicks Bucky, who slams into the wall, falling onto the platform before I can react but I shadow in front of Bucky, blocking Dad's view of him as Bucky raises his hand like he's trying to protect himself or get Dad to stop.

"Dad, stop," I say, my eyes glowing white with the red ring around the pupil, my vampire fangs on display.

"No!" Dad exclaims.

"Please, this won't change anything. And what happened wasn't his fault. Don't do this, please."

"Get out of the way Nadya!"

"No! I won't!"

Dad takes aim, and the energy bolt rebounds off Steve's shield onto himself as Steve lands in front of Bucky and me, shielding us. Iron Man drops like a stone and lands on a lower platform.

"He's not going to stop." Steve says as he helps Bucky up and looks down at Dad "Go."

Bucky and I take off as Iron Man soars upwards, as we jump to different platforms. I see Steve leap and shoot a wire which wraps around Iron Man's neck and drags him back down. They land and Steve tosses his shield, which Dad deflects, then tries to target Bucky.

"Come on, come on," Dad mutters as Bucky and I continue for the opening.

"Targeting system's knackered, boss," FRIDAY tells him.

"I'm eyeballing it." His helmet retracts, and he shuts one eye, taking aim at the opening hatch. Dad fires and the missile hits the giant hinge, which explodes, cutting off mine and Bucky's escape route. Bucky and I jump down, so we don't get squished by the door. I land in a crouch while Bucky lands hard, groaning. Bucky quickly gets to his feet and grabs an iron pipe as Dad flies up. Dad blocks the two swings from Bucky, then grabs Bucky around the neck from behind. "Do you even remember them?"

"I remember all of them." Bucky gets out. I can hear the shakiness in his voice as he says this, and I know he remembers all of them. And I know he blames himself wholly. Even if he was brainwashed and controlled, he still blames his whole self, and it's heartbreaking.

Dad flies both of them from the walkway, his arms still around Bucky.

"NO!" I scream.

Steve jumps into them to deflect their fall before I even have time to move. Bucky lands on a platform with a groan while Dad and Steve land on the concrete floor beside the opening in the wall where snow drifts in from outside.

I shadow down to Bucky as he groans and rolls to his side. We watch Dad and Steve below us.