9

As we sit in the car, Steve turns to me. "So I'm getting the feeling you're more than human. What are you?"

I smile "Well, our grandfather was a hybrid of wolf and vampire but it was dormant but what you knew as Hydra figured out how to trigger it and used him to breed with my grandmother, he was put in cryogenic freeze for decades then used. She was a phoenix, it was also dormant until they triggered it."

Steve looks at me, confused. "But Hydra's gone."

I sigh, knowing the lie would be kinder for now. "Yes, but there were those who helped, and back when our grandfather was captured it existed."

Steve nods. "How do you know so much about it?"

I look down. "Because I experienced a bit of it for two years. I have a six-month-old son because of it."

Steve's eyes widen. "Wow, that must be hard, and must have been traumatic."

I nod. "I think being frozen for seventy years would be too, same with fighting in a war."

He nods. "It was a lot."

"I'm here for you, as long as I can be. I do have to return to my home in a few days to go back to my son."

Steve offers me a smile. "So what is your son's name?"

I smile in return. "Luka."

"So you're Russian?"

I nod. "Well and Wakandan and American. I was born in Russia and was there until I was ten then in Wakanda until I was fourteen and then I've been here for almost a year."

"Don't forget you have Irish blood too."

I laugh. "I could never. My mama also taught me about my Irish heritage and taught me Irish Gaelic and Russian."

"How many languages do you know?" Steve looks like he's really interested in our conversation, his face full of concentration. I smile a bit.

"Aside from those and English, I know Wakandan, Japanese not that I use it much, Latin, and a small amount of Romanian."

Steve looks impressed. "Wow, anything else you know?"

"Fighting."

Steve laughs at how matter-of-factly I say that and I laugh too. Soon we pull up to an apartment building and Fury, Steve and I get out.

"I'll let you get settled. Here is your room number and key. I'll also leave you my number, just in case I try to get a hold of you." Nick says and hands Steve a piece of paper and a key.

I sigh as Nick drives off and adjust my bag on my shoulder. "I'll let you get settled as well."

Steve looks at me, concerned "Got a place to stay?"

I shake my head. "Not yet, I'll just find a nearby hotel or something."

"You could stay with me," he offers "if you want."

"I don't want to impose and you just got unfrozen and are in a new environment, I don't want to make it harder on you"

"It'll be fine, plus I'd love the company"

I sigh "Ok, alright, fine"

"Good"

......................................................

"Wait, so what is Star Wars?"

I hold in a laugh, trying to remind myself he's been frozen for 70 years. "Movies, set in space"

Steve nods "My friend Bucky would have liked that"

I smile "Was he a nerd?"

"A bit. He liked a book called The Hobbit"

I gasp "Shut up! I love that book! It actually has a sequel called The Lord of the Rings"

Steve's eyes widen "Whoa"

"Your friend sounds like he was cool"

Steve smile sadly "He was, lost him on a mission before I went into the ice"

"What was his last name?"

"Barnes, his full name is James Buchanan Barnes,"

My eyes widen as I realize who his friend is, he's Winter and Luka's father. Shit, damn, and hell. Steve looks at me, concerned.

"You ok?"

"Yeah, sorry"

"That's fine. What else you got for me?"

"Just look up rock bands from the 70s to like maybe the 90s and then was can be friends"

Steve laughs and makes a note "Just those?"

"Yes, so Nirvana, Kiss, Bon Jovi, Twisted Sister, AC/DC. I could go on." I then laugh earning a confused look "I'm totally my father's child in that way"

"So, what are you into? Like what do you like to do?"

"I read, and I do art"

"That's cool"

"What was life like for you back then?" I ask him.

"It was... different. My father died in World War I and my mom raised me on her own. We had little money, but we were happy. I met Bucky at school, he protected me from bullies, back then I was a skinny kid and had asthma."

"So you were friends basically your whole lives?"

"Yeah. He always looked out for me. When my mom died, he offered me a place, but I turned him down. Then the war started, and he had to go. I tried to join but was turned down"

"Until the serum happened," I elaborate.

He nods "Yeah then I lost him."

"I understand the pain of loss. Losing my mom at fourteen was rough. I was alone, or at least in a way. I didn't have my aunt or my sister or father at the time. I felt like I was alone, but I had people who cared for me. But then I was taken and used and abused then I ran away, finding my family and then I had my son and now I've found you"

Steve smiles "I'm here for you if you want"

"Me too. I'll help you adjust to this new reality for as long as I can. I do have to go home in a few days, back to Luka but I'd like to get to know you more"

"I'd like that and I'd also like to get to know you more too, after all, we're cousins"

I smile then yawn, "Sorry"

Steve shakes his head "It's ok, I'll let you get some sleep"

"Good night"

"Good night," Steve says before walking towards his room.

I sigh and lie back on the couch, my mind racing. James is Bucky, who was Steve's best friend, and he's Luka's father, oh god. I can't tell Steve, not yet anyway, he needs time to adjust then I'll tell him; I don't want to overwhelm him.