142

Twelve days later, I'm in my room searching through my stuff to find something to wear for Dad's funeral. I look up as Bucky enters in black jeans and a black bomber jacket. He offers me a soft smile.

"Are the kids ready?" I ask him, going back to my clothes.

Bucky moves behind me and wraps his arms around my waist, his chin resting on my shoulder. "They're ready. Grace is helping get Zoya and Rebecca's hair done."

I nod and sigh. "Ok, good."

I pull out a dress and then put it back. My hand starts shaking as tears fill my eyes. I choke on a sob and Bucky turns me to him, pulls me close, and holds me as I cry.

"I miss him, even if he annoyed me sometimes."

"I know."

I pull back and he wipes my tears away. "Thank you for being here. I know you and dad had your issues but I'm grateful you're here."

Bucky kisses me softly. "I'll always be here for you, no matter what."

I smile at him before he reaches into the closet and pulls out a black lace shift mini dress.

"Thank you," I whisper.

Bucky brushes a curl out of my face and kisses m forehead. "Always."

I hug him before he pulls away. "I'm going to check on the kids while you get ready. I'll see you out there."

I nod and as soon as the door shuts behind him; I let out a shaky breath and grab a pair of simple black open-toe heels and get ready. I slip on my usual jewelry and pin some curls on both sides of my face back and put on some waterproof mascara before looking at myself one last time before I sigh and put on a brave face and go join the others.

......................................................

I meet Pepper, Morgan, Rhodes, Happy, Steve, and Thor, and my kids downstairs, waiting for me. I smile softly at them before taking Rebecca's hand. Grace, Luka, and Zoya all clasp hands with each other. We all gather to listen to a last message from Dad.

As we sit, a hologram of Dad is projected from his Iron Man helmet on the table.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right?" The projection of Dad, sitting, says, Caleb rests his head on my shoulder as we watch it. "But it doesn't always roll that way. Maybe this time. I'm hoping if you play this back, it's in celebration. I hope families are reunited. I hope we get it back, and something like a normal version of the planet has been restored. If there ever was such a thing. God, what a world. Universe, now. If you told me ten years ago that we weren't alone, let alone, you know, to this extent, I mean, I wouldn't have been surprised. But come on, you know? The epic forces of darkness and light that have come into play. And, for better or worse, that's the reality Morgan's gonna have to find a way to grow up in."

The message continues, and I sigh, trying to keep my emotions at bay.

"So I thought I'd probably better record a little greeting... In the case of an untimely death on my part. I mean, not that death at any time isn't untimely. This time travel thing that we're gonna try and pull off tomorrow, it's–it's got me scratching my head about the survivability of it all. That's the thing. Then again, that's the hero gig. Part of the journey is the end." Then Dad is looking straight at me. "Nadya, I know we've had our ups and downs but I'm so proud of the woman you are. I'm grateful I got to meet you and be a part of your life and to see your kids grow and I know that you're going to be ok because you have people beside you who will never leave you or hurt you. And grandkids, I love you, look after each other and be good for your mama. I'm proud of all you guys have accomplished and I wish I was there to see what's next for you all." My kids smile and hug each other.

Dad suddenly gets up, walking towards his camera. "What am I even trippin' for? Everything's gonna work out exactly the way it's supposed to." He leans down and smiles. He is looking straight at Morgan "I love you 3,000."

The message ends and the hologram cuts out. I walk outside, my kids following, all standing by Bucky. Bucky wraps an arm around my waist and kisses my cheek.

Moments later, Pepper carries a wreath out of the house to the audience waiting outside for the intimate funeral. She looks at me. I can't meet her eyes, tears in mine.

"Nadya, you and the kids are also his family."

I let out a shaky breath and look at Bucky, unsure. He gives me a small smile and an encouraging nod. I kiss his cheek and the kids and I follow Pepper.

She lays the wreath on the lake. On top of the wreath is Tony's first arc reactor, which Pepper had framed with the words "Proof That Tony Stark Has a Heart" back in 2008. Pepper, Morgan, my kids, and I are closest to the water then there's Happy Hogan, & Rhodey, all being joined by Steve, Peter, May Parker, Thor, Bruce Banner, then the rest are scattered along the lawn, Doctor Strange, Wong, Scott Lang, Hope Van Dyne, Janet Van Dyne, Hank Pym, Peter Quill, Nebula, Rocket, Teenage Groot, Drax, Mantis, T'Challa, Okoye, Shuri, Clint & his family, Wanda, Bucky, Sam, Harley Keener, Secretary Ross, Maria Hill, Carol Danvers, and Nick Fury, silently watching the wreath float away.

Pepper turns to me and nods. I look at my kids who can use fire and we all send streams of fire towards the wreath. It lights on fire and I whisper as tears flow:

"Goodbye Dad, rest in peace."