Episode 17 of 62

This is an ongoing story. If it's your first time reading the novel I suggest you start from Episode 1. If this episode is not where you last left off, then please check the Table of contents of all episodes released so far and find the last episode you read and continue from there.

 If this episode is not where you last left off, then please check the Table of contents of all episodes released so far and find the last episode you read and continue from there

Kingdom of the Red Rose
(Episode 17 of 62)
Chapter Six: Recalling the Beginning
(Part 3 of 3)

Haron was the first entity to collect souls and escort them to Hell when the war ended. It was part of the deal between Heaven and Hell, and since Haron was one of the few entities back then who could freely travel between the two realms, he was given the job. The name Grim Reaper was given to his weapon, the scythe, by the souls he collected. When he trained his replacements, they were seen as an extension of him, like his scythe, hence the name Grim Reapers.

As they sat in that room and talked, Griffin also noticed the small differences between the two of them that Haron mentioned earlier. First and foremost were the eyes. Griffin had eyes but Haron didn't; only the darkness from his empty skull filled his eyes. The other major and most obvious difference was their weapons. Haron's scythe, Grim Reaper, looked exactly like the old scythe humans used to reap crops; it had one long handle with two grips attached to it, one at the bottom and one halfway up. Emma on the other hand has no grips, just a solid meal rod with a blade attached at the end.

Even the blades were different. Grim Reaper is smooth and curves down slightly, like anyone would expect from a scythe. Emma has small pointy teeth on the inside of the blade like a serrated knife. It also curves down way more than a normal scythe, and finally Emma's blade folds inwards towards the handle when Griffin puts her away. Grim Reaper looks like a normal scythe, built for reaping crops and Haron used it to reap what was considered his crop, human souls. Emma on the other hand looks more like a newer model of the old scythe, one that was purposely modified with the intention of being used as a weapon to kill. It definitely looked more aggressive than the original.

The last thing that set Griffin apart from Haron, was how they moved. Griffin had a lot of human-like features, breathing, moving his jaw up and down and waving his hands when he spoke and so on. He eats and drinks, even though he has no need of it, and he has a lot of mannerisms that one would attribute to humans. Haron, however, was indeed the true escort of the dead. His jaw never moved, and he never breathed. He never consumed mana by eating or drinking, he simply turned mana into a gas form and absorbed it into his body. It was Haron's lack of movement that set him apart from Griffin. He moved only when he absolutely had to, and he did what had to be done with as little movement as possible. That is why Griffin always felt weird during long pauses between his conversations with Haron. He just sat there, stiff as a corpse, no sound coming out of him, or any other kind of indication as to whether he was a living entity or not. They spent the first quarter of the day talking about what had happened, what led to Griffin's suspension and why he wanted to come to Haron's cabin.