Episode 40 of 62

This is an ongoing story. If it's your first time reading the novel I suggest you start from Episode 1. If this episode is not where you last left off, then please check the Table of contents of all episodes released so far and find the last episode you read and continue from there.

 If this episode is not where you last left off, then please check the Table of contents of all episodes released so far and find the last episode you read and continue from there

Kingdom of the Red Rose
(Episode 40 of 62)
Chapter Fifteen: The Demon of Fear
(Part 1 of 3)

When Griffin opened his eyes, he was sitting on a cold wooden floor with his back to the wall, hiding from something, or someone. A man had just closed the door in front of Griffin and winked at him as he went through a second door directly across from the first. Griffin responded with a nod, and that was when he realized he was not in control. It wasn't him that nodded. Griffin quickly understood that he was just an observer, seeing through the eyes of someone else. This unknown man was patiently and silently sitting in the dark, waiting. It was the darkest night of the year, perfect for all kinds of monsters to come crawling out of the woodwork. The violent cold air that blew outside failed to match the treacherous discussion that took place inside the hut at the edge of a forest.

"What was that?" a male voice came from the other room.

The man through whom Griffin was experiencing everything moved closer to the door and peeked in through the keyhole. Trying to get a better look at the men inside the room.

"Nothing Daniel, the door wasn't closed properly, and the wind blew it open," the man that had just gone past Griffin said, "Anyway, as I was saying you don't have to worry about our friend Edward anymore. I have taken care of the matter," he sat on a wooden rocking chair.

"How good is this assassin of yours, Robert?" Daniel was casually leaning over the fireplace enjoying its warmth. He held a glass of whiskey in his hand, gently twisting it around and staring intently at the swirling liquid, as if there was something to find at the bottom of the glass. He paused for a second and took a sip as it slowed down.

"The best gold can buy," Robert replied proudly, always trying to show off to Daniel. He lit his cigar and blew a cloud of smoke upwards.

"Are you sure of that?"

"Remember General Jacob?"

"Yeah, he was killed in his tent, surrounded by ten of his best soldiers standing guard, and he was warned about the assassination. Rumours say his assassin warned him, just for the fun of it."

"The rumours are true. This assassin is responsible for dear General Jacob's death."

Shock and fear flashed on Daniel's face, but he quickly returned to his usual cold demeanour and took another sip of whiskey. "I never thought you would believe in fairy tales Robert."

"He's no fairy-tale Daniel. He's real, and he killed Jacob."

"How can you be so sure?"

"Because, I hired him," Robert grinned.