Episode 57 of 62

This is an ongoing story. If it's your first time reading the novel I suggest you start from Episode 1. If this episode is not where you last left off, then please check the Table of contents of all episodes released so far and find the last episode you read and continue from there.

 If this episode is not where you last left off, then please check the Table of contents of all episodes released so far and find the last episode you read and continue from there

Kingdom of the Red Rose
(Episode 57 of 62)
Chapter Twenty-Three: A Threat to Heaven and Hell
(Part 1 of 4)

The Council's chamber rests in oblivion. The single beam of light at the centre of the room fails to push back the menacing darkness that envelops it. That beam of light is the only link to the room's true appearance. Twelve marble statues connecting a glass floor to a glass ceiling, both displaying the furthest parts of universes unknown; millions of galaxies slowly but constantly twisting, expanding, and moving further away from each other. When not standing in that beam of light, the room is enveloped in absolute silence and darkness. Nothing echoes but your own thoughts, your worst nightmares coming to life, your personal Demons taking form. One might say unusual for a room that exists within the brightly lit city of Heaven. Griffin is about to step into the Council's chamber and transform it forever.

The single beam of light at the centre of the room flickered for the first time since its creation. It trembled as if trying to spell out a warning; something dangerous is heading this way. The light exploded as Griffin appeared in the room and a shower of sparks surrounded him briefly. His arrival was announced, his presence confirmed but then he disappeared into darkness. The galaxies above and below come into view, as well as the grandiose statues, and for the first time the white outer walls behind them. The faint light from the ceiling and the floor only made matters worse, as they formed shadows that danced around the room, hiding Griffin as he moved silently. Twelve fear-stricken souls came into view, spherical and large, alternating between their limited range of four colours, blue, white, silver and gold, searching for the right combination corresponding to this profound situation they found themselves in. They quickly reached a cruel and unsettling realization; they were lacking colours. They could not recognize and respond to the emotion that consumed them.

They began to take shape, forming a body, but not before developing two new colours: a disgusting yellow for hatred and fear of the unknown, and a hot red for anger and aggressiveness. The souls' bodies matched the statues around the room. Perfect in all aspects, having a wide range of characteristics from the human world, all arranged in such a way that portrays elegance, symmetry, perfection. This was an ethnically mixed group, a representation of the mortal world. They wore loose garments that displayed as much of their immaculate bodies as possible without being indecent.

"Show yourself, Demon," one of the twelve shouted.

"I'm the Demon?" Griffin appeared at the centre of the circle formed by these twelve bodies.

"Who else?" a woman of the twelve asked, offended.

"You. All twelve of you. Look at you," Griffin was stern, but his voice was calm, with irony embedded within it. He was mocking them.