epilogue

Life isn't any simpler since things became 'official'. But it's definitely better.

Lyla looks forward to waking up now and she's happy, she doesn't spend a day without seeing Ashton, considering that he lives right next to her. Whether it be the two of them alone or double-dates or even triple-dates.

Today is Ashton's 17th birthday. Lyla let him decide whether he wanted to spend it alone with her or with his friends from school, ultimately being the perfect, loving boyfriend, he chose to spend the whole day with her alone at the park.

It's quite a hot day for England weather, so the park is very full. Regardless, they sit under the same tree as they have done every single time they've been there together and have a load of tiny snacks for a cute little picnic. As well as a little birthday celebratory non-alcoholic cider, it's basically fizzy apple juice that costs £6 but in a champagne bottle to make it seem fancy.

Lyla isn't quite sure when to give Ashton his gift. It's a small one, it all fit into a cute, pale blue (his favourite colour) envelope but you know, quality over quantity. Lyla suspiciously gets the envelope from her bag, hiding it behind her back just as Ashton looks at her.

He smirks, asking, "What do you have there?"

"Your gift," she holds out with two hands, placing it in front Ashton. "I know, it's really tiny, but I hope you like it."

"Can I open it?" already tearing the envelope open, "Too late I'm opening it already," from the envelope he pulls out a picture taken on a polaroid and a note and he chuckles lightly, looking fondly at Lyla. "I remember this day."

Lyla smiles, her heart full, "Yeah?"

Ashton clings onto the polaroid and runs his finger across it, "Our third date, we'd accidentally put on coordinating outfits and you were freaking out about it cause normally either of us is well-dressed when we go out. You kept saying you wanted to get a picture of us together, it was only when I got home and changed that I realised we never gotten a picture. I guess you didn't forget," he puts the picture in front of Lyla to see again, "Jenna snap this for you?"

She nods nervously, "Read the note in your own time," she suggest, a horrible idea she realises as soon as she's said it out loud. "It'd be weird if I were here."

"Nah, I'm gonna read it now, I like watching you get all shy like that, it's cute," he teases cheekily.

"Shut up pretty boy," Lyla gives him a friendly smack on the arm and smiles sweetly at him.

Ashton smiles back, "See, it's cute," he looks down at the note and starts to read it with pride.

'dear ash,

i will probably be right next you when you read this because you love to tease me. i could say all of this out loud but putting it on paper makes it more memorable, more permanent.

first of all, happy birthday to my absolute most favourite person in the world. we celebrate you today and honestly, we should be celebrating you every single day.

if someone had told me a year ago today, that we wouldn't be fussing about and fighting over nothing and that we would've made up and ended up being stupidly and chaotically in love with each other, i'd have called bullshit. but here we are, stupidly and chaotically in love with each other and i wouldn't have it any other way.

so here's to 17, im forever proud of you and i love you to the ends of this universe and back, i really hope you know that.

love, lyla <3'

Once in awhile he'd look up at Lyla giving his signature loving smirk that makes her heart bubble up. The entirety of reading it, the same smile sticks to his face, which honestly is the perfect sight for Lyla because it's a lot different to his last birthday, he's happy, truly happy on his birthday, surrounded with endless love. If that couldn't put a smile on anyone's face, what will?