The Test

BTR Imagine 23: The Test

Imagine.

I never felt so sick before in my life. I didn't know why.

My body kept heaving over the toilet. I spent the whole morning there. My knees planted on floor. No matter what entered my body, it soon came out.

When things seemed to settle after hours of puking my guts out, I crawled back into bed. I gingerly placed a pillow to my stomach. I hated this.

Then I heard the bedroom door open. I glanced over to see James with some tea, soup, and a bottle of Gatorade.

"How are you feeling?" James asked, a small smile on his face.

"You suck." I said. James laughed

"So grumpy. My poor baby." James said as he kissed my forehead. Then he place a hand on my forehead. "You don't feel warm. Do you want me to check your temperature?"

I shook my head. With my stomach churning again, I ran back to the bathroom. I came out 10 minutes later.

"Aw babe. Do you think we need to take you to the hospital? This isn't good." James said, his voice full of concern.

"No, it's okay. It's probably that bug that's been going around. It'll pass, I hope." I said.

James was sitting at the edge of the bed. I buried my face in his chest. He rubbed my back, easing some of pain.

"I hate seeing you like this. Will you at least go to the doctor?" James said, looking down at me.

I looked at him, "Okay. I'll make an appointment for tomorrow."

"I'd hate leaving you here alone tomorrow. I can go with you if you want." James suggested.

"No it's okay. I'll be fine. Don't worry about it." I said.

A part of me already knew what it could be. I was late.

The next day I headed out to the doctor. I was already starting to feel nauseous. I tried my best to keep things down with crackers and lollipops.

I signed myself in. Twenty minutes passed before I was called back. The nurse took my vitals before leading me to the room. It was another half hour until the doctor came into the room

"Hello, what seems to bring you here?" Dr. Sato said as she breezed into the room.

"Hi. I, uh, need a pregnancy test done." I said shyly. I was suddenly embarrassed and scared, like a child who knocked over a vase.

The doctor asked me about the last time I had intercourse. Gross. Then some other general questions. She handed me a urine cup and pointed me to the bathroom. She said to meet with the nurse to have some bloodwork done.

Once everything was said and done, the nurse made another appointment for me to come in tomorrow for the results.

As soon as I got to my car, I puked again. I couldn't wait until tomorrow. I drove to the store and got one of those at home pregnancy test. I needed to know.

I unboxed the test and followed the instructions. I laid it flat next to the sink and set my timer for three minutes.

What was I going to do if I was pregnant? How am I going to tell James? How is he going to react? Is he going to be happy? Will be be freaking out like I am?

We never planned to have kids so early in marriage. James loved kids. He loved it when my niece and nephew spend the night. He was so good with them. He cared about them and loved them dearly.