Chapter 23 {A Welcome & A Goodbye}

"Charlottes water broke, and we're snowed in." "What do you mean we're snowed in?" I got out of bed and walked over to the window. The snow had stopped but it was at least 3 or so feet high. I grabbed my phone off my nightstand and checked the time. 2:34 "Riley's downstairs helping Krew and Reese shovel out the pathway." I nodded and she left me to quickly get changed into warmer clothes. I made my way downstairs where Charlotte was sitting at the table, with Reese who had snow all over her pants and boots. "What they're doing is gonna take too long. If I can get to the four wheeler I can put a plow on it and then we can get to the plow truck." "Alright, lets go." I put my boots on over my sweatpants and grabbed the keys to the four wheeler. Reese and I went outside where Krew and Riley were still shoveling.

"If you guys can shovel to the driveway I can get the four wheeler up here with the plow!" "Hurry!" "I will!" The snow was just below my waist as Reese and I walked out to the shed. "Turn the four wheeler on." "It took us 15 minutes to even get up here, we gotta hurry." Reese told me. She helped me put the plow onto the four wheeler, and we drove back down to the driveway where Krew and Riley were waiting. "We have a problem!" Riley yelled out. "What?" "The battery in the plow truck is dead." "Are you serious?" He shook his head no. Krew was pacing back and forth. "Krew, it'll be okay, we can jump it with my truck, but we gotta be quick." Reese grabbed jumper cables out of the back of her truck that was parked next to the plow truck.

It took exactly 13 minutes to jumpstart the truck, and the second we did Krew was in the drivers seat. Riley jumped in with him and Reese and I followed them down to the house on the four wheeler. The driveway was cleared, and Krew took Charlotte in the plow truck, Reese and Cody following behind them in Krew's truck. Riley and I were left alone. "I should get going, I wanna meet my niece." "I'll come with you." "No. I don't know how long I'll be gone, you have a flight in 2 hours." "Bryn ple-" I cut him off. "No." "I will try to wait for you." I nodded, grabbing my keys. "I love you Riley." "I love you too." "Try to wait." "No promises!" I nodded and left.

I got to the hospital in under 20 minutes. Everyone, except Krew was waiting in the waiting room. "Any news on how Char or the baby are?" Her dad shook his head no. I nodded and sat down next to Cody. 1 hour later Krew came out, tears in his eyes. "What happened, what's wrong?" Charlottes mom went up to Krew begging for information on her daughter and granddaughter. "The baby's here, and healthy. She was born at 4:02, but Charlotte was rushed to emergency surgery, she lost too much blood." It was already 4:30, so she had been in surgery for almost a half hour. "Oh my God." Krew nodded. I got up and followed him. He was crying. I didn't say anything, but just pulled him into a hug. He held onto me tight. "She's gonna be okay, Krew." "I can't lose her Bryn, I can't." He cried into my shoulder. "Your not going to, and besides now you have a beautiful baby girl that looks just like her." He nodded. "She is beautiful, do you wanna see her?" I nodded and he lead me down to the nursery. "She's right there." He pointed to where a nurse was holding a blonde haired baby wrapped in a pink blanket. "Tell me about her." "Her name is Adelaide Josephine." "You named her after grandma." I said with admiration. "We also named her after Charlottes Grandmother, Josephine." I smiled. "When they placed her in my arms, it felt like my heart was complete I've never felt so much happiness because of some little thing." He smiled brightly, wiping the tears. "I love her so much already and she's only been here for a half an hour." I smiled. "Sounds like she has you wrapped around her finger already." "Yeah she does." The nurse who was holding her saw us outside the nursery and came out. "I just got word that your wife is back in her room with the doctor, Im gonna bring Adelaide to see her mama if you both wanna come." "Yeah, of course." We followed them into the hospital room, where Charlotte was lying awake in bed, with the doctor on her side.

"I told you it was just a quick, easy surgery." Krew went over to her side and I stayed near the door. "Charlotte would you like to see your daughter?" She nodded and the doctor helped her sit up. When Adelaide was placed in her hands you could tell Charlotte already loved her so much, but she was in pain. "Brynlee do you want to hold her?" I shook my head no. "I don't want to take away your time with your daughter." "I have the rest of my life with her, besides I'm kinda in pain right now, so please take her." I nodded and walked over to the side of the bed. She handed me Adelaide and I held her in my arms, looking down at her lovingly. "She's so beautiful." I gently rocked her small body in my arms. I stayed like this for ten minutes.

By the time I left the hospital and got back to Charlotte and Krews house it was 5:38. I went into the house, it was the same way we left it. "Riley!" I yelled throughout the house. No answer. I sighed, and went to his house. "Riley! Are you here?" Again, no answer. I walked around the empty kitchen, spotting a note on the table. I picked it up and read what it said.

Dear Brynlee, I'm so sorry I couldn't wait any longer. Don't miss me too much. I love you Bryn, always will. Remember that.

xoxo - Riley