Chapter Seventeen

Jung Hosek was just too goddamn loud. 

Namjoon was seated on the far end of the couch with his phone in hand, scrolling through a web toon absently. He meant to be reading it, but his attention span didn't allow for it. Besides, Taehyung, Jungkook, and Hoseok were all screeching and swearing as they were far too into their current game of Fortnite. Meanwhile, Yoongi sat on the other side of the couch, sprawled out and slowly consuming the majority of the snacks the competitive boys had forgotten about fo now. 

He soon sighed and set his phone down, giving up on trying to keep his mind occupied by anything. 

"I shouldn't have come," Namjoon said quietly, just for his best friend to hear. 

"You need to get out," Yoongi responded. "I know you don't feel like it, but the more you force yourself out, the easier it becomes. Just laying around in your bed isn't going to help. Sometimes you need that, but I think you've mourned plenty."

"Shouldn't I be at least somewhat over it by now? Even just a little."

Yoongi thought for a minute. "Honestly? I have no idea. I've never loved anyone like that. I can't imagine it's something that goes away lightly."

Namjoon fought back the prick of tears. "I just don't feel like I can never not love him. The crazy thing is, I don't know if I want it to stop. I don't want to let him go. I don't want him not to be in my world. Yes, he's already gone, but I don't want to lose him out of my heart."

His best friend's lips twitched slightly, his eyes averting to their chaotic friends. Namjoon sat up a little straighter.

"Yoongles, what are you not telling me?"

Yoongi swallowed. "I wasn't sure if you would want to know or be able to deal with it," he said softly. 

"With what?"

Namjoon's eyes narrowed on Yoongi, recalling the sobbing Jin in the classroom and wondering if that had to do with whatever that was. That protectiveness would never fade, he was certain of it. 

"It's a long story, but basically Jin's dad is taking him in," Yoongi said. "He'll live with his dad and his family and finish out high school."

"That's really good. He'll be safe there."

Yoongi's lips pressed together and formed a line. "Yeah, it is good. The thing is that Jin's dad lives an hour away. He won't be going to school with us anymore. He's going to finish at one closer to his dad's house."

And then that dead weight fell to the bottom of his stomach. 

"Oh," Namjoon said quietly. "Well, that's still good. He...he deserves that. I know he always missed his dad."

"Joon..."

"When is he leaving?"

"I think his last day here is Thursday."

He could feel the way his best friend's eyes were boring into him, deep with concern. Namjoon couldn't blame him. The urge to sob and scream and even vomit was boiling up inside of him, yet his expression remained blank, the way it had been for awhile now. No matter how much he was hurting inside, his face was unable to express emotion. Perhaps it was because everyone was watching him like a wounded dove, ready to pounce. Or maybe if it's because he didn't acknowledge how much he was in pain, then he wouldn't have to deal with it. 

So Namjoon just nodded and moved his eyes back to the sight of Taehyung tackling Jungkook and pretending to beat him with the controller. Hoseok was loudly cackling, filming the scenario on his phone.