twenty

Lucca Pov

I hung up on Katerina her voice sounded happy, she was happy and that was all that mattered to me. Penelope's parents were wealthy associates, killing her might have been a mistake that can come back and haunt me, I can't do anything about it now she's dead, I killed her and I don't regret it. Her parents will believe the story I tell them and if they don't, well they can always go join Penelope.

In my desk there was paper work that needed to be looked at, I had to make sure very thing was perfect. Not a single mistake, the thing with money laundering is that it can be traced back if it's not done properly. Luis was in charge of making sure nothing traced back the police, here I owned the police and I handled them but in America there is always one or two cops that might stick their nose where it doesn't belong.

If they did find something, someone higher than them would handle it, someone I own. That was the least of my worries, my enemies, over the years that my family has been on top we've created enemies everywhere. Even the ones who cling to me be my friend could easily be my foe, I always need to be on top never look weak, never be weak. 

My father worked all the time and when he didn't he was with his mistress Diana, who after my fathers death was executed at the order of my mother. She was one of many but the one he preferred the most, he preferred her over my mother. They were always cold towards each other, hated each other even but their marriage showed power, two of the most powerful families in Italy being merged into one.

The mafia respected my mother she's earned their respect after being married to the Don for so long, she never spoked out of turn and gave him heirs to carry the family name. Traditionally the heir is engaged to his wife as children showing purity, they're marriage becomes sacred. Mattia had been engaged to Rose and then wedded, I was never engaged as I was my parents second born and the heir line was shifted.

The council is eager for me to have a wife, they think I'm showing weakness for not having heirs. I'm still young, I'm 24 carrying an entire empire on my shoulders I don't have time for marriage and my main priority is getting the Russian's in line, if I had heirs they would come for them kill everyone, Maktov would come for them.

I dabbed the end of my cigarette, looking at my palm I saw the scar that reached from thumb to my pinky the one Katerina gave me when she threw her blade at me. It had cross paths with one I already had on my palm, my father gave me this one when I was initiated, the scar reminded me everyday of my priorities, of my oath, this empire is my priority.

The house was quite, the only ones that were here is my sister, and Elijah apart from the servants and guards. This was my childhood home, my fathers office became mine, my mother left under my orders, I didn't want her here involved with the business placing her nose where it doesn't belong. Mattia and his wife lived close by, making sure to always be on my back and call.

Francesca was staying with my mother until I find her a suitable husband and marry her off. I needed someone who was rapped around my finger, I needed to make sure his loyalties are to me, and to our family, I have a few candidates in mind, she tries to push the matter off. She's been of marrying age for three years I can't keep her by herself it will make our family look weak, and they will come for her try to claim her.

I heard a knock at the door, it was faint resilient, "Lu?"

Alessia.

"Let her in" my voice was meant towards the guards that stood out the door. Alessia was in here night gown, it was past midnight she should be asleep. "Go back to your room and the answer your looking for is no"

"You don't even know what I was going to ask" she took a seat on one of the seats.

"Fine" I humored her, "What we're going to ask?"

She gave me a warming smile, "Well I heard that your leaving tomorrow to New Tork" I already knew where this was going and I let her continue, "I was wondering if I come with you, Elijah will be with you and I would just be all alone here."

"No, now go back to sleep" I dismissed her looking down to the paper work on my desk.

"But Riccardo goes all the time by himself"she complained.

"The answer in no, Alessia"

"It would only be for a few days it's not like you stay very long- Lucca I never get to leave this stupid house, please" she begged, "The last time I left the house was almost two months ago"

"It's not safe" I stated starting to loose my patience, Alessia was my little sister it was my duty to take care of her.

"I never ask for anything! I've never been to school, I've never had a friend, I'm trapped all the time here, please Lucca, it's only for a few days" Alessia eyes were glazed by tears that threatened to spill at any moment.

"Have your maid pack your things" I placed a cigarette back in my mouth, before her screeching began, her grin covered her face as she ran towards me.

"I will, thank you" she pulled back and started skipping out of the office as I focused back on the paper work on my desk.

The jet had finally landed as guards surrounded the plane, everyone one of them were highly trained to risk their life for our family. Cesar, my sister personal guard was always her shadow, he was my father's personal guard before she was born and I knew he would never let anything happened to her.

Riccardo waited for our arrival, his face was solidified until he saw Alessia his mask had fallen and filled surprised. I hadn't warned him about our sister, do to the fact that I didn't need to. "Alessia"

"Riccardo" she hugged his waist leaving him stunned as she got into the back of the car, I followed behind me Riccardo got in, not saying a word, my driver drove off to my apartment where Alessia will stay. Her enthusiasm radiated as she stared out the window watching the buildings pass by, it was hard knowing her happiness will soon come to an end.

__________________________