chapter 18

⚠️   content warning   ⚠️

this chapter contains underage drinking.

from: sunghoon

i'm here

Jungwon clicked his phone off and threw it on his bed. He stared at the two checked shirts laid out in front of him, before giving in and reaching for the one he'd stolen from his father's closet. Its navy blue tones were so faded they looked almost gray. He slipped a tube of gloss into his pocket and ran downstairs, his boots making a thunderous sound on the stairs.

"Where do you think you're going, Wonie?"

Jungwon froze, mid step. He turned in horror to his father, to find him seated at the couch in the living room. He was peering at Jungwon over the top of his reading glasses.

"Uh. Sunghoon's taking me to the arcade?" he tried, hoping it sounded believable enough.

His father snorted and pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose, "You're forgetting your dad used to be young once too. Just remember to drink responsibly! Don't drive under the influence."

Jungwon laughed, discomfited. Apparently the arcade excuse wasn't any good after all.

Jay came from the kitchen, carrying a stained rag and a bottle of wood varnish. He stopped in his tracks upon catching sight of Jungwon. Jungwon waved, feeling inexplicably awkward. He was still thinking about his misstep with the towel and the smudge of ricotta.

"Wow, Jungwon. You look...," Jay trailed off, his eyes flitting from Jungwon's eyes, lined and shaded, to his lips, sticky with gloss.

Jungwon smiled nervously.

"What-- you've got the entire dictionary in your head and you're speechless?"

Jungwon's fingers automatically went up to ensure he didn't have anything beyond makeup on his face. Jay was staring at him with such curiosity, there had to be something else there.

A warm smile spread across Jay's face and, with complete sincerity, he said,

"You look beautiful, Jungwon."

Jungwon blinked, his fingers freezing, hovering over his lips.

A disgruntled harumph came from Jungwon's father's direction, "What did that 'bot just say to you?"

"Dad," Jungwon whined, not even sparing his father a glance.

He was staring in shock at Jay, in complete wonder that he'd just... come out and complimented Jungwon so casually. Like it was nothing. Like he had no idea how his words alone could send Jungwon reeling.

"Thanks." This time he made sure his voice was quiet enough to be heard by Jay alone.

"There's no need to thank me," Jay slung the rag over his shoulder. His smile went crooked, "I'm just stating an observable fact."

"R-right," Jungwon stuttered, his cheeks heating. Jay was teasing him again. But, Jungwon paused, that didn't explain why Jay hadn't been able to string together a real sentence when he'd first walked out and spotted Jungwon.

Jungwon's phone vibrated in his phone, alerting him of a new message. Jungwon reached for it-- Sunghoon, as patient as he was, was likely growing restless.