chapter 24

It was early morning, but Jay wasn't in the kitchen.

Jungwon stretched and yawned, but even after he rubbed the sleep out of his eyes, he couldn't see his robot.

Jungwon frowned.

It wasn't like Jay was always in the kitchen when he ate breakfast, but he always made sure to at least drop in before Jungwon left for school.

Jungwon spotted a lunch bag on the counter and, just like that, his frown was gone. He rushed to the bag, and was even happier to see that Jay had left a note. He grinned.

Jungwon -- your father needed me for something. Looks like you'll need to endure the drive all by yourself today.

And then, right at the end of the note, Jay had drawn a small smiley face.

Jungwon's day had been strange. From the reshuffling of seats, in class and at lunch, in service of Sunoo and Ni-ki's newly minted relationship. From Sunghoon acting awkward and stilted around him. From Jake and Heeseung, oblivious to it all, still teasing Jungwon lightheartedly.

Jungwon paused, at the door to the kitchen. He formed an 'o' with his lips and blew out a huff of air, tousling his bangs. After Sunoo had left lunch early and Ni-ki had bolted up and offered to carry his things for him, Jake had called them cute. That would've been unremarkable on its own.

But then, he'd asked Jungwon when he was going to get a boyfriend to carry his bag for him.

And-- Jungwon felt echoes of the panic he'd felt then-- Heeseung had replied that Jungwon already had one. He was just at Jungwon's house doing robot-y things, at that moment.

Jungwon shook his head, and reached for the door handle, hesitating right before his hand was to make contact, then grabbed it, and turned.

Jungwon let out a sigh of relief when he spotted a single solitary figure in the kitchen, familiar in his crouch over the counter top. He'd be able to unload the day's awkward events with Jay-- Sunoo and Ni-ki, Jake and Heeseung, Sunghoon's discomfort, everything save Heeseung's comment. They could talk through it, like they always did.

"Hey, Jay," he greeted, a smile on his face just at the sight of the robot.

Jay didn't straighten upon Jungwon's greeting, though. He didn't look up with a wide grin on his face and say Hello, Jungwon, as he always did. Jungwon's smile went tentative.

Maybe Jay hadn't heard him.

Jungwon walked over to Jay, "Uh... what're you up to there?"

Jay turned his head in one smooth motion as Jungwon approached. Jungwon stumbled as he walked.

Jay's face was devoid of emotion, as blank as the day he and Jungwon had first met.

A sense of creeping dread filled Jungwon.

Jay stood up and fixed him with a blank stare, stopping Jungwon in his tracks.

"I apologize. Were you speaking to me?"

Jay spoke in a complete monotone, bereft of any hint of emotion.

Jungwon nodded, uncertainly, "Y-yeah. I was," he swallowed, his tongue feeling thick, "What's up with you, Jay? Why are you acting like this?"