Chapter Eighteen

My mom had both Jordan & I sit down while she brought us an ice cream cone.

"Did you seriously just make me come here so you could sell me out?" I bitched quietly so my mother wouldn't hear.

"No, I just did that because the time was right." He smirked, "Plus, you're not even dating Rodriguez. So what's it to you?"

"It was an asshole move of you Jordan." I spat, "Dealing with you is such a headache."

"You act like you're any easier."

"I am."

Our mom came back over and handed each of us a cone, we both put fake smiles on our faces. "So.." My mom sat down in the booth right next to me, "I know that you guys don't have the best father. So I came here mainly to get you guys to move in with me."

"Which is where?" Asked Jordan.

"I live in Los Angelos." She smiled, "It isn't far from here so every once in a while you guys would be able to visit your friends."

I leaned back, "I'm not leaving."

"Why not? It may not be the best place to live, but it'll be temporary-"

"I'm not leaving." I repeated.

Jordan rolled his eyes in irritation, "The only reason you wanna stay is for Rodriguez."

"Who is Rodriguez?" My mom laughed.

"Her boyfriend." He spat.

"He's not my boyfriend." I chimed in, "God you're an asshole Jordan. If you wanna leave this place with mom then go for it, but I'm staying. So go ahead and kiss mom's ass, but you know damn well she'll find a way to leave you alone there too."

"Rowan!" My mom was highly offended.

"Don't Rowan me! You come back after four years just to tell us you want us go to Los Angelos with you! I'm not kissing your ass this time mom!" I stormed out of the ice cream shop, hearing the stupid bell ring on the way out.

Jordan coming to pick me up from the sandlot earlier was a damn waste of time. I regret leaving, I should've stayed. I threw my ice cream cone onto the sidewalk out of anger.

"Ey Phillips!" I heard a group of boys yell at me from behind, I knew it was the sandlot boys by just hearing them. I turned around to see them all waving at me from the liquor store across the street.

I looked both ways then ran across the usually busy street. "Hey."

"You good?" Asked Squints pushing his eyeglasses up.

"Yeah." I nodded, "Why aren't y'all at the sandlot?"

Scotty took a step forward and began to talk really quickly, "Benny-busted-the-guts-out-of-the-ball-and-so-I-ran-quickly-to-grab-my-step-dad's-ball-that-was-signed-by-Babe-Ruth-then-I-hit-over-the-fence."

My jaw dropped slightly, "You're telling me that you actually took a ball that was signed by the greatest player of all time and played with it?!" I was in utter shock of how dumb this situation sounded. Scotty nodded in response. "Why don't you just go over the fence to retrieve it?"

"No!" All the boys yelled in sync.

"Why the hell not?!" I questioned.

They all looked at each other, "Camp Out!" They all yelled.

We all agreed on buying a regular ball to try and replicate the signature of Babe Ruth. Just so we could buy some time before we get the ball back, "Give me a pen!" I demanded.

Bertram handed me a pencil, "Not a pencil!" I yelled, "I need a pen!" Yeah-yeah took a blue ink pen out of his pocket, I tried to copy the signature.

"I don't know Phillips." Judged Squints.

"Yeah-yeah looks pretty crappy."

I rolled my eyes, "His mom is never gonna know the difference. Let's just buy some time ya' dorks!"

Word Count: 650