Chapter Twenty

Silence...

What does that truly mean?

To be silent.

To be silenced.

Similar...

Yet different.

Silence...

Should I stay silent?

Catra

"Ah... Welcome home Catrina."

Catra's eyes stayed set as the figure in the throne stood up in place, stretching themselves out. From... where she was standing, she couldn't make out their physical appearance other than the bright yellow eyes that seared into her own.

Without thinking about it, Catra took a hesitant backwards. Still, their gaze held hers. Then, they took a step towards her...

Click.

Fur bristled itself upwards, warning Catra to retreat. Warning her of a danger that had yet to present itself to her. Wrapping around her body, trapping her muscles in place whilst spiraling her into an unknown position.

Click.

Another step taken... no... it couldn't have only been one... could it? It had felt as if multiple eternities had come and gone since the last one. Catra blinked, her eyes flickering around the room, desperately searching for a route of escape before... she realized she was kneeling... when... when did she kneel...?

Click.

No... no... just leave me alone... let me be... I want to go home—I want to go home! Damn it... damn it... Nothing makes sense... where am I... I just... want to go home... I want...

I want to be with Adora.

Click.

"Catrina... don't be silly..." Catra froze as a deep, rasped voice spoke gently from above her. Her eyes flickered as she gritted her teeth, glaring at the ground in silence. She wouldn't give them the satisfaction... she wouldn't... anything in this situation would be better...

A clawed hand reached downwards and rested their fingers beneath Catra's chin, before tilting her face upwards towards them. When they did so, her eyes widened. His piercing yellow slitted eyes stayed trained on her as a smile twitched at his darker-tinted lips.

"You are home."

"...who...who are you?" The question barely found it's way to her lips and dissipated without a quarrel. His eyes softened a bit as he sighed and glanced over in Xeva's direction.

"You're dismissed." Xeva nodded quietly, not meeting Catra's gaze even once as he left the room without a complaint. His arms shook the entire way out, his tail flicking anxiously as he closed the doors behind him. The echoes of the closing door rung out for several seconds... giving Catra an escape... if only for a moment...

The man turned back to Catra, reminding her of her shock once more. Cat-like ears were planted upon his head... and they looked pretty real to Catra so she doubted he was cosplaying.