Chapter Nine

Adora

The muffled sound of water from the shower made its way to Adora's ears, resulting in her biting her bottom lip absently. She could already feel her face beginning to rise up in color as she thought about Catra being–– Adora smacked her cheeks rather harshly with both of her hands to get her mind out of the gutter. Staring up at the ceiling, Adora allowed her mind to wander a bit in a different direction. Xeva... he still wasn't someone she completely trusted... he hadn't done anything to prove her right yet, but he also hadn't done anything to prove her wrong. Adora tsked, shifting in the blankets to drape them over her shoulders. She laid there for what seemed to be ages, her mind slowly fuzzing and her body becoming warm and comfortable. After a while, she felt her eyelids become heavy and before she knew it, she had fallen into a deep sleep.

"Come on, this way!" Catra hissed quietly, gesturing for Adora to follow her. Adora gulped, clenching her own fist in an anxious type of manner as she gritted her teeth. Catra tugged on Adora's arm rather desperately. Adora, despite her shock of the whole situation, numbly followed Catra through the darkness. She stumbled a few times, only for Catra to crouch down next to her and pick her up once more, urging her along. For the longest time, the only thing Adora could hear was the patter of their feet hitting the cold floor; however, eventually even that stopped as the two of them were met with a dead end. Adora could see Catra's eyes widen and her lips tremble. Her tail was bristled as she turned around, her ears flattening against her head as the person who had been pursuing them floated into view. Her hands were folded neatly, her composure calm as she floated there quietly. However, her eyes spoke a completely different story: anger.

"Did you really think you'd get away with bothering Lord Hordak when he is clearly so busy?" Shadow Weaver spat, but her words were not directed at Adora. She already knew that. Catra was trembling next to her.

Catra opened her mouth to talk, hesitated, before closing it and swallowing anxiously. "I-it was my idea, Adora had nothing to do with this..." Catra whispered, her tone cracking as Shadow Weaver hummed and lunged forward without much of a warning.

Latching onto Catra's neck, Shadow Weaver lifted her up, digging her nails into the flesh. A crimson liquid dribbled from the wound, resulting in a surprised croak from Catra. "I was already aware of this, but to think you dragged my Adora into this?" she spat, her eyes narrowing as Catra desperately kicked at the air, trying to get grip of the ground with no avail.

Adora could only watch in horror. It was only when Catra stopped her flailing that Shadow Weaver allowed her to plop to the floor. Instead of speaking to her again, Shadow Weaver simply glared in silence, before turning away and leaving the room. Catra was coughing, trying to catch her breath as Adora shot toward her and winced.

"Catra! Why on Earth did you do that?" Adora inquired, her eyes wide and filled with worry as Catra gritted her teeth, her hand travelling to her neck as she put pressure onto the wound. Blood began to seep its way in between her fingers as she smiled gently at Adora.
"Don't you get it? I'll be there for you no matter what... I'll always protect you... always..." Catra whispered, her voice shaky as Adora stared at her for a moment, raising her hand to touch Catra's face tentatively.

"Always forever...?"

Catra laughed, turning to Adora and smothering her in a tight hug.

"Always forever..." Adora hesitated momentarily, before returning the hug.

She didn't want to let go.

...

"Adora?..."

"A-adora?" A shaky voice reached its way toward Adora's ears, wrapping its confused tone around her as Adora was brought to consciousness. Her eyes were shut, taking a deep breath as a familiar, comforting scent wisped its way into her nose. She could feel her arms and legs pulling an object close to her, hugging it in a tight manner; it was much like how one would snuggle with their stuffed animal. It didn't take Adora long to realize she didn't have a stuffed animal. In fact, the moment that she allowed herself to access the situation, she was immediately able to feel the short, quick movements of the creature she held against her arms. There was no doubt that she was latched onto Catra.