Chapter Twenty-Seven

Warning!

This chapter contains extremely gorey content!

Viewer discretion in advised!

——————————————————————

The portal soon dissipated into nothing.

Leaving Lymn and the child in silence.

The professor turned to the child slowly, sighing a bit as he continued his bonding.

Adi watched quietly as the needle pressed against their arm, indenting ever-so-slightly before puncturing the skin. A red substance seeped into the syringe as Adi kept their eyes trained upon it in a curious manner. They'd seen their own blood before, but it still fascinated them that that was inside of their body.

This continued for a while, causing Adi themselves to sort of zone out. Their thoughts and daydreams wisped about their brain, colliding and sometimes combining to create new things. The idea that so many things existed and could exist put the child in awe.

Something about them was different.

They knew that much.

Otherwise... their father wouldn't sit down in a lab with them... taking their blood and running experiments. It kind of hurt to know that's all they meant to him... but they didn't mind the attention.

They were curious on where the research was going to lead their father.

They hummed slightly, the noise bouncing off of their lips as they kicked their legs rather calmly. Left. Right. Left. Right.

So formulaic.

Yet.

Un calculated at the same time.

"You're free to go for the night... I should have the results soon!" His eyes lit up as Adi could feel their heart swelling. They hadn't seen him this alive in forever... it was almost as if they were meeting a new person entirely.

They watched in a bit of awe as their father stood up and stretched himself out, humming a bit as he did so. Gathering up his stuff, he gazed down at Adi quietly for a moment. Their eyes held each other's with a slight mutual understanding. Their father smiled gently, patting their head... then... he disappeared into the room he called home. Who knows the next time he'd be out.

Adi stared on in silence.

Their eyes took in the scene around them, yet didn't truly see anything. The only focus they could hone in on was the lingering sense of their father's hand against their head. Their own hand raised to graze against it as their lips parted and a sigh escaped them, fading into nothing as the darkness swallowed up the echoes.

They heaved themselves up and allowed themselves to begin skipping down the corridors. Their destination? Their favorite place to go, of course. Their lips perked up in a grin as they rounded the corner and skidded to a stop in front of the keypad.

They'd seen their father enter it enough to know it by heart... he'd underestimated their ability of perception... in fact, the only thing he cared about was the fact that they could connect to the runestone.

It made sense. It was a rare skill that was overall extremely intriguing... however...

That was all he viewed them as. A project. A specimen. A tool.

The door clicked open, resulting in Adi humming a cheerful tune as they heaved the door open. If their father wasn't so caught up in his work... he'd have no problem hearing them... the door shrieked it's complaints as it opened, resisting as it dragged itself across the floor. It dug its claws into the tiles, begging not to be opened... before finally conceding and accepting its fate.