Chapter One

Adora

Shadows crept their way into the dimly-lighted room, dancing in their own type of completely improvised routine. Adora laid in her bed quietly, her eyes staring up at the bunk bed above of her. She wasn't sure how long she'd been gazing at the bunk bed... it could've been minutes, hours even. Who knew? Who cared? It almost didn't seem to matter anymore. Almost.

Adora could feel a force pressurizing against her feet, informing her that Catra still laid there sound asleep. If she allowed herself to, she could feel the rhythmic cycle of Catra's breaths against her. Slowly, Adora shifted so that she could leave the bed without disturbing Catra in any way. Successfully fulfilling her goal, Adora picked up her jacket and walked out of the room, heading to the bathroom.

Without hesitation, Adora began to ready herself for the day. She began with brushing her teeth and all of the other usual morning rituals. Finally, she got through her unruly hair and was able to pull it up into her little hair poof. Adora pulled the horde jacket over her undershirt and stared at the badge on it absently.

"Force Captain Adora–– it seems so formal," Adora laughed quietly to herself, her finger tracing the surface of the badge. Though... the words of Shadow Weaver from the night prior still rang in her head, 'Your team is not ready, they will only slow you down.' She bit her lip absently and shook her head, sighing as she leaned against the wall. Slow her down? How could they do that when they were partially the reason she could become a force captain in the first place? And Catra–– a slight lump formed in her throat as she was forced to swallow it down. Catra had been devastated. Gritting her teeth slightly, Adora clenched onto the fabric of her jacket. She should've been happy for her, instead of making this so hard for Adora to do without having guilt. Why couldn't she just be happy for her?

"Anxious?" A voice called from behind Adora, causing her to yelp and turn around. Shadow Weaver was standing in the doorway to the room, her midnight black hair floating behind her, "your first real battle is today, afterall."

Adora smiled a bit in relief. "Yeah, I guess I am a little nervous," she admitted as Shadow Weaver approached her, hardly making any sound as her body floated without much effort. Upon reaching Adora, Shadow Weaver placed her hand against Adora's cheek, cupping it softly as Adora leaned into it a bit.

When Shadow Weaver spoke, her tone was silky and filled with an undistinguishable emotion, "there's no need for you to worry, I've trained you your whole life for this..." she hummed slightly, her eyes softening a bit. Adora watched her in silence, her eyes stopping momentarily on the red stone that laid rested in the middle of Shadow Weaver's mask. "I can assure you that you are ready for this," Shadow Weaver continued as Adora sighed.

"I just wish my team could––" Adora cut off as Shadow Weaver raised her finger and shook her head, tsking.

"Adora, you do not need them. They are just slowing you down, does that make sense?" Shadow Weaver pulled her hand back from Adora's face and turned to leave, "don't let the emotions of others get in the way of your goals, Adora." With that, she left Adora alone in the bathroom.

Sighing, Adora turned back to the mirror and stared in silence at her badge. No, Shadow Weaver was right, she'd worked hard for this. She deserved this. Puffing her chest a bit, Adora finished getting ready before leaving to attend the meeting for The Battle of Thaymore.

Catra

A sudden coldness ripped itself against Catra's fur, causing her to shoot upwards and immediately look to the empty bed. The blanket was gently placed back on the bed, as if to not cause her a disturbance. Catra could feel her ears lowering as she bit her lip and sighed, hugging her knees gently. Did this mean she was already gone? Without a word, without a warning? Typical. Gritting her teeth, Catra stood up and stretched herself out. Catra ran a hand through her unkempt hair, clawing at the snarls before shrugging.