Carack CH6 P3

‘Ya see why I took the boy San,’ said Meendhu. ‘N’zar thinks everyone is a soldier, ya should’ve seen the state of the lad’s feet. Good job ya gave me plenty of that salve fer him.’

‘Yes, yes Meendhu, I am sure you acted for the best. But we need all the help we can get, especially from those who have fought off the influence charm as N’zar seems to have done. So, don’t be too hard on the man. Where were they heading before Meendhu abducted you Gerent?’

‘Last I knew they were going to some place called Whimpleton. Wampa did mention you so they might come this way,’ said Gerent. ‘And I’m sure N’zar didn’t mean me any harm, he just didn’t know who to trust and I suppose neither did I.’

‘And you still do not yet, I’m sure. You shall get to know us and then you can make an educated choice to help us or not. I could send a couple of Brownies out to find them I suppose, but the trouble is Brownies don’t like the outdoors much, they might never get to N’zar.’

‘I could go fer ya.’ said Meendhu, standing up.

‘Sit, my friend, you have just arrived after a weeks’ journey I cannot ask you to start out on a trip of  twice that length to try and speak to someone who may not even allow you to say anything. No, I think I should first take a look and see where they actually are, would you like to come and gaze into my well with me?’ Sancret turned to Gerent, who got to his feet.

‘Yeah, though I don’t really know what you want me to do.’

‘Just come wth me,’ said Sancret and he led Gerent and Meendhu out of the room and up more stairs. As the staircase narrowed and started to spiral Gerent realised that they must be in the tower. There were no windows and nothing to give any indication of how high they had climbed. Then he stepped into a circular room that was open to the elements on all sides. The room had a low parapet wall around it, on which sat columns that supported the roof. It was all built of the same grey stone as the rest of the castle. This room was cluttered, there were books every where, open, closed, tossed aside, upside down and propping up leaning tables or cupboards. There were stuffed animals on perches and in glass cases, a faded red chaise longue, jars that Gerent had seen in the chemistry lab at school, three telescopes and bunches of dried vegetation. There was a desk with papers and a jar of quill pens, several well used rugs and in the centre of the room, clear of everything else was a waist high circular stone structure. 

 ‘I don’t allow the Brownies to tidy up in here much. They insist on dusting but they never move anything, it’s all my mess. Perhaps I had better let them tidy tomorrow,’ said Sancret in an apologetic tone as he followed Gerent’s gaze around the room. ‘Anyway, the well.’ Sancret approached the stone structure, Meendhu and Gerent followed him. As Gerent got closer he could see that it was full of water, which was calm and deep blue.

‘Is this a bath?’ he asked.

‘No, it is a well, this water goes way down underground into the hillside below us,’ said Sancret.

‘How? How can the water stay at this level? I mean we are at the top of the tower!’ said Gerent in amazement.

‘That is a story for another time,’ said Sancret. ‘Now I must see where our friends are, come look with me.’ He leaned over the water and his reflection was shown back to him. As Gerent watched a circular ripple started from the outer rim of the well and slowly ran in toward the centre, decreasing insize, until it was a drop in the centre. This then disappeared and was followed by several other similar decreasing ripples in quick succession. Then the water’s surface rapidly quivered, like a jelly, Sancret’s reflection was gone and Gerent could clearly see his three former travelling companions.

The three men were walking along side the hedge of a field. They looked somewhat dejected as their heads and shoulders were down. Their steps seemed tired and the way heavy going for them. Cam was wrapped in his cloak and looked ashen; the other’s clothes looked worn and dirty. Gerent felt for them, they had been travelling for ten days and it did not look as if they had had any help at all.

‘Hmm,’ Sancret mused over the image.