Carack Ch13 p2

The next four days past in a similar manner to the first, except Gerent remembered to save food from the slop bin and Euny, who had not realised that they were not fed saved food from each meal for Gerent, Brunnstan, Wig and Anita. At first, Brunnstan also stole what he could from the larder, but the chef quickly noticed the missing food and when Anita was blamed and beaten for it, Brunnstan stopped. Each day, breakfast, lunch and dinner Euny put the powder on the king’s meal, Gerent knew it would take about five days to have some effect and he longed for some reaction from the king, but still no one saw the king emerge. Then one day as he tipped the waste onto the midden he noticed one of Euny’s rose shaped cut tomatoes, which had been on the king’s plate, on the edge of the midden. He stared at it and thought back to the returned tray from the king that lunchtime, the plates had been empty and there had not been any leftovers on it at all. Gerent had the horrible thought that the king was not being given the meals that Euny had prepared, that they had wasted the last five days.

As he was sent to carry logs, he called Euny over to the fireplace and hurriedly explained what he had seen, they did not have time to talk further but that night Euny shook Gerent until he did wake up.

‘We need to get into the king’s apartments to see what’s going on.’ hissed Euny, Gerent yawned.

‘Well that should be easy for you, you take the king’s meal in every day don’t you?’

‘No, Coppinger takes the meal from me at the door of the throne room. I need to have a reason to go in, we need a diversion that would cause Coppinger to leave the king just as I was due to go in, the guards know me well enough now I think I could just go in without a problem.’

‘What diversion?’ asked Gerent trying to focus on the problem instead of his tiredness and aches.

‘Perhaps Lordling, Meendhu and I could provide a diversion with our mage and bear act? If we called upon the king, Coppinger would have to speak to us as no one can afford to upset a mage.’ said Brunstan, with pride in his voice.

‘Good idea Brunnstan, would you go and see if Meendhu would help?’ asked Euny. Brunnstan replied:

‘I have no need to ask, of course he will, be ready at lunch tomorrow sir knight, we will be here. Lordling, is that acceptable to you?’

‘Great idea Brunnstan, well done, off you go, now can we get some sleep I have potatoes to peel before the sun comes up.’ Gerent said wanting the talking to be over, yawning and groggy with sleep. Brunnstan said nothing but left at once.

‘That was a bit mean, he had a good idea there and he looked to you for approval.’ Euny said in an annoyed tone.

‘I gave it,’ said Gerent snuggling down onto his mattress.

‘Yes, but in what a way,’ replied Euny in a hard voice, also lying down once more.

Gerent was woken by the crack of a stick across his legs,

‘Get up Ulf the oaf! The others have been at work long since, I have called you twice now.’ The stick descended again and Gerent sat up rubbing his legs.

‘Ow!’

‘It’ll be more than ‘ow’ if you don’t get moving, don’t think your pretty sister is enough reason to excuse you from work, no backsliding here! Come on up!’ Gerent felt himself pulled to his feet by his ear and hauled up the short flight of stairs into the kitchen. Wig and Anita put their heads down as he was dragged in, wanting to remain unnoticed as the chef was now in a foul temper. He flung Gerent at the pile of potatoes waiting in a corner.

‘Get to it’ Oswald snarled menacingly. Euny sat impassively at the table, almost as if the knight felt this treatment served Gerent right for the way he had spoken to Brunnstan last night. Gerent picked up the knife and began to peel, it was hard to focus on the potatoes, he knew he was going slowly and making a poor job of it. He slipped the first potato into the waiting tub of water and chef Oswald marched over and snatched it out. Gerent noticed Euny get up, take the napkins and leave the kitchen for the dining hall.