Chapter 5: Dig Dug

Your head rests against the Semi-Truck window, it's cold, but your right cheek warms it. El squeezes closer next to you, the Semi's heat certainly not enough to keep her warm.

You and El decided to take a visit to Terry Ives, or El's mom. She barely convinced you to leave after the accident that happened last night, but she was going to go with or without you.

You both catch a ride on a Semi-Truck to Terri's street. The two of you squeeze next to each other. Finding comfort in knowing that at least there's a resemblance of familiarity in the unknown lands.

The Semi-Truck stops after thirty minutes of driving and the man looks over at the two of you sitting in the passenger seat. "This is it. Five-One-Five Larrabee, right?"

"Yes," You answer, El opens the Semi-Trucks passenger door and holds the door open as you hop out.

"You better apologize to your mama alright? Must be scared to death. How long has it been?" He asks, El looks at the man blankly.

"Long time." She says and nods, you almost forgot. You reach inside the truck and grab the leather bag containing all of the documents. El closes the truck's door and it pulls off.

The two of you follow along a gravel path with dirt layering over it. You walk along the path for about two minutes till you reach a house. El and you step onto the porch, giving each other shared looks of worry.

You look around, the place is really well kept. The person living here must have a lot of free time. El sighs and knocks on the door.

"Go away, I'm not interested!" A woman shouts on the other side of the door. El doesn't respond and knocks on the door harder than before.

The door creaks open, a woman's face on the other side. The chain on the other side holds the door closed. "Listen kids, I don't want your thin mints."

"Thin mints?" You question, what does she think you are? Street vendors?

"Or your religious mumbo jumbo. Whatever you're selling, I ain't buying." The lady slams the door shut again.

El focuses on the door and you listen as the chain lock begins to release. The door opens from the breeze.

"I want to see Mama." El says, her nose bleeding.

"I- I don't know if you want to." The lady responds sadly. She's obviously scared but you guess she assumes you have a good reason if you already went this far.

The lady leads you down the hall and looks into a room then back at the two of you in uncertainty.

"Rainbow. Three to the right. Four to the left. Breathe Sunflower." The woman repeats to herself as she rocks in a chair.

"Mama?" El asks, stepping forward into the room. "Mama, Can you hear me?" El walks to the woman and kneels on one knee in front of her.

"Mama, it's me Jane." El says, Your surprised at her saying her birth name, but what else could she say to get through to her Mom. El rests her hand on top of her mothers in a loving way.

"What's wrong with her?" You inquire, looking back at the lady who spoke through the door. She leans against the open frame and frowns, crossing her arms.

"You might want to sit down for this." She says, you and El both get up and follow the lady as she walks into the kitchen. Four wooden seats surround a dark black wood table. You take a seat beside El as the lady sits across from you.