Chapter 6: The Massacre at Hawkins Lab

"The truth is Ten, you are going backwards." Brenner states, his arms crossed. That's impossible, it felt as if you were making progress.

"Ten look at me." You hadn't even realized you weren't looking at the man.

You don't respond, the man takes a seat beside you, his hand resting on your leg lightly. You shudder under the touch, it has warmth but not one of a father.

Brenner sighs, "Ten, that fear you hold is the very thing holding you back. If you want Project Stargate to succeed you have to believe, you have to not hide from the truth no matter how frightening it is."

"I saw what I did-- to Eleven-- to those kids, I'm a monster."

Brenner shakes his head, "You speak of monsters -- and superheroes, those are myths. The truth is Ten, the truth is, life is rarely ever that simple."

You shake your head, "But what if I am?"

Brenner shakes his head, "Ten, you trusted me once, I'm asking you to trust me again." He says finally, you glance towards the outfit you had been using on the rack.

...

The doctor's lay you back gently on the bed, allowing you to fall backwards into the past. It has a sense of finality to it, like a final move.

"Eleven, Ten, please step forward." Dr
Brenner says.

You step forward out of the line, as does El. "Last night, your sister suffered a concussion, your brother has a bruised rib. Now, they claim to not know what happened but injuries of this nature do not simply happen. Someone did this, someone in this room."

Dr. Brenner looks up and down the line, examining each face with a look of disinterest.

"They must've fought or something." Two says, speaking up. He glances towards the two of you then back at Brenner.

"Fought?" Brenner questions, raising an eyebrow as he turns to look at the boy.

"Yeah-- you know how jealous some people can get." Two answers, nodding towards you.

"Eleven, Ten, you may step back." Dr. Brenner says, you both step back into line. You can feel the excitement within your chest at watching the self-confident idiot get what he deserves.

"Number two, please step forward.." Brenner orders, the boy takes a single step forward out of the line, "Collar him." Brenner adds, the man from before wraps a collar around twos neck that tightens shut. It's red flashing light blinking.

"You think because you demonstrate some talent that you're somehow immune to the rules, is that it?" Brenner questions, looking at the boy.

He gazes into Brenners eyes fearfully, "N-no papa." He answers.

"That the rules don't apply to you the same way they apply to your brothers and sisters?"

Two shudders under the man's intense words. "No, papa."

"Then why did you attack them?!" He asks, the kindness leaving his voice.