Chapter 8: The Gate

Mike steps forward and wraps you and El into a large hug. You stand there for a while, your arms wrapped in a quiet embrace; his arms seem to grip someone else closer though.

"Is that?" A red haired girl doesn't finish her question before Dustin and Lucas nod. They then turn to look at the three of you again. Mike lets go of the both of you and steps back, a surprised expression on his face still.

"I tried to find you—" He stutters, the words uncertain. "both of you, I. I called for-"

"Three hundred and fifty three days." El interrupts.

Mikes abstained smile drops, "Why didn't you answer?" Mike questions.

"She was looking for me." You answer, taking the heated gaze off of her. "He only just showed up a few days ago." El adds.

"Still- Why didn't you try and talk to me after you found him?" Mike asks, he raises an eyebrow and looks over at you. He sounds jealous almost, and a little mad at you for some reason.

Why is he so worried..

"Because, I wouldn't let them." Hopper responds and steps forward. He stops in front of you. "The hell is this, where have you been?" He questions.

"Where have you been?" El responds with another question, a small grin on her face, but her eyes look sad. Hopper doesn't answer and wraps her into a hug.

"You've been hiding them. You've been hiding her-- Them. This entire time!" Mike yells childishly, screaming as he pushes Hopper in the back.

He pushes Hopper again, before Mike can push him again. Hopper grabs his hand. "Hey! Let's talk. Alone." Hopper drags Mike into the bathroom by his hand.

The red haired girl laughs at the boy being dragged away, a small grin forming on her face as both of the boys step away from her.

Lucas and Mike both hug you and El. "We missed you guys." Dustin says, stepping back with Lucas.

"You have teeth." You poke Dustin's face. He smiles brightly. "Oh, you like these Pearls?" Dustin says, he purrs and everyone laughs.

"Love." You murmur, grinning.

"Uh, Hey. I'm Max. I've heard a lot about you both." The red haired girl from earlier steps forward, her voice shaky and nervous as she out-stretches her hand for you to shake. El grabs you by your wrist and drags you towards Joyce before you can respond.

What the heck, why'd she do that, she just wanted to be friends.

Joyce hugs the two of you as well. "Hey.." She whispers lightly. She lets go and El looks up at her. "Can we see him?" Joyce sniffles and nods.

She leads you into Will's room. Jonathan places Will on his bed just as you enter and leaves the room soon after; gazing at his mother hesitantly as she sits on the bed next to Will. The two of you take a seat beside her, the mattress sinking underneath your combined weight. You and El trade sad glances before looking back down at the boy, his skin pale and cold. The corners of his eyes bluish from the cold.

"He isn't doing so well." Joyce says.

"We know." You respond.