Chapter 3: The Monster and the Superheroes

Jonathan and Argyle drove the four of you home, their drugged up conversations never ending. None of you spoke, listening to the conversation with disinterest. Soon enough, Argyle parked in front of the house, near the sidewalk just as the sun was dipping down.

Opening the van door, the four of you slid out. Eleven was last, obviously something was bothering her. Mike and you traded sympathetic glances.

"El.." You murmur.

She looks up hesitantly and climbs out of the van quickly, she doesn't meet your eyes; quickly everyone walks up the porch steps Jonathan opens the front door and walks inside.

You prepare yourself to lie to Joyce, you can feel the nervousness in the air as your little group turns towards the right once you walk in, someone cooks while wearing an apron.

Hearing the door open, he turns towards his left. "Well, well, aren't you kids a lot for sore eyes." Murray greets, grinning.

What's Murray doing here? Is something going on?

"Hi Murray." Jonathan responds, waving at him. You glance at Eleven who looks back at you, her expression also curious. You look back at Murray, something is just way too suspicious.

Murray holds up a spoon filled with food, "How do you kids like Risotto?"

A few minutes later, both you and El stand in front of your shared wardrobe. She hasn't spoken a word the entire time since you seen her earlier while skating.

"A-are you mad?" She questions.

You look over at her, she glances up; meeting eye contact for a moment before looking back down.

You shake your head, "No, I- I think you did something good."

She looks into the wardrobe and grabs a blue and black checkered long sleeve. She quickly slides it on and walks out of the room without another word.

Your almost surprised by how quick she left, you reach into the wardrobe, grabbing a long sleeved dark purple shirt and put it on. Hopefully this'll help hide the marks on your hand from Joyce.

Your the last to reach the table, you slide into the only free wooden seat next to Jonathan and Argyle. Will and Mike sit next to El on either side, eating their food idly.

"So, there I am, headed down the 1-5, going to see a client in Ventura. Trying to find a motel, then Bam! it hits me! Don't the Byers live here?" Murray explains, leaning forward onto the table to laugh.

It's obvious that he's lying but you decide that it's not important enough to question him about.

"Small world isn't it?" Joyce questions, laughing awkwardly.

"It is indeed a small world." Murray agrees, nodding.

El takes a bite from her food, avoiding eye contact.

"So I decided that I might as well stop by, see how their doing." Murray adds, trading glances with Joyce.

Joyce grins, "So sweet of you."

"Even sweeter of you to let me stay," He agrees.

El looks up at Joyce rolls her eyes, forcing you to release a small giggle you had held in.