Chapter 8

One week later. . .

"Hey Star!" Garnet called, entering Star's room. Star moved slightly on her pile of pillows and let out a moan. "Happy hatchday!" Oh right Star thought. My hatchday is today. Better get up. And so, Star stretched, lied there for a minute, and got up. She walked into the center cave that branched out into three different hallways. One to Star's room, one to her parents' room, and one to the fire pit, where most of their meat is cooked. It's also open to the sky, so smoke won't get trapped in the cave.

Star sat on a red and white rug at the back of the main cave room. Shortly after that, Pathfinder entered and said "good morning, Star." "Good morning, mom," Star replied. "Star, come here real quick!" Garnet called from her sleeping cave. Star got up and went through the middle corridor that led to the cave her parents sleep in. Once Star stepped into the room, Garnet turned around, holding a box. "Here Star. A gift for your special day." She handed Star the box, and she opened it.

Inside it was a gold bracelet, (much like Turtle's) with rubies going in a row all the way around it. "Thank you mom!" Star said excitedly. Star slid the bracelet on her arm. Then, she looked forward, a blank expression on her face. She just stood there, without moving a muscle. "Star," Garnet said. Star looked at her. "Act normal, like you always do every day. And love me like you always do even if Undoing says we work together. And also love Pathfinder like you always do." And then, Star's normal emotions returned and she said "I love the bracelet! Thank you mom!" And she hugged Garnet.

Then, Star went to Pathfinder and showed her the bracelet. "Look what Garnet gave me!" She said excitedly. "That's beautiful!" Pathfinder said. She took Star's arm and studied the bracelet. Then, Star's mom, Garnet, carried out a silver platter with a large, silver cloche (round dome-like cover that covers food. Mesh, or wire cover are also used as a means to protect plants) was covering whatever was on the platter. Garnet removed the cloche and on the platter, there was bread, sweet rolls with icing, and fruit, including: apples, bananas, mangoes, pineapples, and strawberries. Star grabbed a few strawberries and tossed them into her mouth, chewed, and swallowed. "Thank you mom" Star said, taking a mango, and cut two halves leaving the middle part with the seeds to throw out. Then she cut the inside fruit part into cubes and started eating it. "I am loving this hatchday," Star said.

Then, there was a tapping at the entrance of the cave. Star walked to the entrance and saw Sunflayer standing there with a box. "Sunflayer!" Star tackled her and gave her a big hug, and they twined tails. "I've missed you So much, Star" Sunflayer said as they got up. "Me too. I've made a plan to get Squid back though!" Star replied. "You'll have to tell me later. But right now, I got you something!" And Sunflayer handed Star the tall and wide box. Star opened it and inside was that landscape painting Star saw Sunflayer painting in the art cave. It was of Jade Mountain Academy as sunset. And there was something else in the box. Star reached her arm in it and pulled out another painting. This one was of Star and Sunflayer, arm around each other. Star almost cried she loved them so much. "Thank you!" She said, barreling into Sunflayer for another hug. And now she shed some tears. Star invited Sunflayer to come eat some fruit or pastries, and they talked. This is what Star was waiting for to take her mine off of Squid. But then she felt bad once she remembered. "Mom," Star said. Me and Sunflayer are going to go in my room and hangout now. Thank you for the bracelet." "Of course, sweetie" Garnet replied.

Star sat on her pile of pillows, and tossed some on the floor in front of her for Sunflayer to sit on. "What's your plan, Star?" Sunflayer asked. "Well, Moonwatcher is on standby incase I need her help. We are still working on how we contact her friends. I wrote to the school and told all of them to be ready, and to have substitute teachers incase I need them. And Clay knows how to get into the cave where they were raised. And I they can't come with us, Clay will tell me how to get in. They also said they'll let me use some of their weapons they have in the school, locked away in a box. Clay also drew me a map of the inside of the cave. Now, I want you to stay behind"- "no," Sunflayer interrupted. "I'm going to be with you every step of the way." Sunflayer slid closer to Star. "We will find Squid, and stop Undoing. Together."