CHAPTER 13

Chapter 13: Evangeline And Orson

After running for a while, I finally let my paws give out as we neared a stream. My breathing was hard and heavy as my tiredness caught up with me. My whole body was aching and my wounds have healed except for the bullet wound which still had the bullet in it.

Orson got off my back and knelt down beside me rubbing the back of my wolf's ear. "Are you okay, Evee?"

I was too much in a rush to think of the clothes I just ripped. I had no choice, so I shifted even without clothes. Thank Goddess for my long curly hair.

"Yes I will be fine, Orson. Come, let's get water." I said.

I carried him to the stream and gave him a leaf to drink out of. I also washed the dirt off of him and myself.

While Orson was playing in the weak currents, I sank a bit low into the water. I bit my lower lip to stifle a yelp as I plunged two fingers into the bullet wound on my shoulder. I few seconds of rummaging around for the bullet, I finally was able to take it out. Good thing it wasn't made of silver.

I'll take it from here. Said my wolf as she started to heal the bleeding wound. Once we finished, we got out of the stream.

"I'm hungry, Evee." Said Orson while holding his stomach. I nodded and placed him behind a bush.

"I'll be back with food."

I shifted to my wolf form. My ears perked up at the sound of animal noises. It sounded like a wild boar.

I stalked towards the sound and saw a small boar sniffing for truffles. I lowered my body in the tall grasses waiting for the right time to pounce.

I stalked back to the stream a few minutes later with the boar in my jaws. I gathered a few firewood and two rocks to make fire. Afterwards, I stuck a long stick into the boar and placed it just above the fire.

I motioned for Orson to come and sit by me as the boar cooked in the fire. We sat in silence. I noticed his forlorn expression.

"How're you holding up, bud?" I asked.

"Okay." He answered still deep in thought. He seemed like he wanted to say something but decided against it. A few tries later and he finally asked. "Gramma's not coming back is she, Evee?"

"No Orson, she's not. She's in a better place now." I answered.

"Will I ever see Mom and Dad again? Or Grandpa Vyctor and the others?" He asked with a hopeful look in his eyes.

"Let's hope so, Orson." I said.

Parts of the boar were cooked enough so I tore a piece of it off and gave it to him. He gobbled it up pretty quickly.

A week and a half passed by with the same routine of running, eating, and finding a place to sleep for me and Orson.

The sky boomed with thunder tonight and our fire had died by now. It was raining a dam as a storm brewed in the sky. It was dark where we were at and only lit up when the lightning struck.

"Evee!" Orson cried clinging closer to me. We were only huddled up in a small cave we stumbled upon. Water was slowly pooling a few meters from us inside. "I'm scared!"