CHAPTER 33

Chapter 33: Evangeline and The Old Lady

I plopped down on a bench beside an old lady. Sweat trickled down my face from the long and extensive run me and my wolf just got back from.

"You look tired, Alpha." She stated.

"Yeah, just got back from a little run around the borders." I replied with a smile.

I looked over at her and noticed she didn't look familiar. I only have 40+ wolves, by now I know each and every one of them.

"Pardon me for asking, Ma'am but are you from the Crescere?" I asked her, but she only smiled.

I guess that meant yes. My wolf said.

"Here, don't worry it's clean." She said as she handed me a handkerchief. I took it politely and started wiping my face.

As I was doing so, my eyes settled on the scene in the near by playground. There sat Harris playing with some of the pups. He was playing chase with them. He caught a little boy who was stumbling on his feet and twirled him around. The boy was flustered from laughing.

A smile settled on my lips. The scene was truly heart-warming. Harris looked good with children... Suddenly, I found myself wondering how he would be as a father...

"I know that look..." The lady said beside me.

"Hmm?"

"You've found your mate, haven't you Alpha?" She asked with a knowing look plastered on her face.

"How'd you know?" I almost slapped my own forehead on my question.

Nice. My wolf said, sarcastically.

"It's pretty obvious really. Everyone in the pack has started noticing it." She continued when I didn't say anything. "It's him, isn't it?"

She was motioning towards Harris. Again I didn't say anything.

"You must be careful, Alpha for from here on your fate continues." She warned.

"What?" I asked her, confused.

"A fate of grief and loss. A fate of greatness and sacrifices."

"What do you mean?"

•••

Harris felt someone's gaze behind him. When he turned, he saw Evangeline sitting on the bench staring at him.

When she saw him looking at her, she abruptly turned to her side as though alarmed, but no one was beside her. She frantically looked around seeming to be looking for someone only to find no one there.

Evangeline looked frightened. Suddenly, she got up and ran towards the forrest.

This made Harris worried. He quickly followed behind her. He found her bent over and on her knees. She was vomiting.

"Evangeline, are you okay?" He asked her as he too got on his knees beside her. He rubbed comforting circles on her back as she continued throwing up.