CHAPTER 19

Chapter 19: Evangeline and The Man in a Red Cloak

My paws carried me to a cliff quite some distance away from the scene earlier. I sat in wolf form, staring down at the cliff. I was surprised to see how near I was to some human territory.

A few miles from the cliff base was a small town. I snorted as I witnessed a small procession of people carrying torches and pitchforks towards the center of the small town where a pale woman hung limp on a big wooden cross.

All the people around her wishing her death to fall upon her through flames or any form of brutality trapped in the manipulative hands of their leader brainwashing them of the existence of the woman as a witch.

Ah... Humans and their foolishness. Such lopsided creatures really. Only thinking of themselves and their selfish benefits at anything or anyone's cost. Their stupidity will someday be their own extinction.

I cringed as I saw them light the bottom of the cross on fire. The innocent woman screamed so loudly as she was engulfed in flames. White ashes started floating in the winds, thus proving their misjudgements. These people believed that a witch's ash will always be black.

What baffles me is that they still basked in the death of the woman as though their assumptions were actually true. It wouldn't surprise me if these people burned their town to desolation. Say another 40 years and this will already be a ghost town.

I stood up to leave. The scene was too pathetic for even me to watch.

I noticed movements from behind me making me much more alert. To my annoyance, the same wolf who tackled me a while ago jumped out of the bushes. He bowed once again.

"Alpha, please come back. Our people need you." He pleaded.

I just snarled and fled again to his right. He let me run. I looked back at him to find dejection written all over his features. Well I'm sorry, but I really can't.

I know it's selfish to run away, but every time history just really seemed to repeat itself. I can't let myself and my wolf go through that all over again. They were doing fine without me, they will do fine without me once again.

This wild goose chase went on for a few months. I avoided interacting with any pack I come across as I fled. Even Jace's pack was not an exception most definitely not Loriana's.

I felt like in every corner they would be there to tackle me. I always felt watched, paranoid if you must. They were the ghost of my past that somehow made it to my present to haunt me. It messed me up a lot. My mind was now always deep in thought, my focus in shambles.

It was starting to intervene with my duty to Loriana. I don't even know what's going on with them anymore.

I managed to slip out of their sight one night and I used that time to sneak off to Crescere. I perched on a branch and looked over to them, but once I saw empty houses, I almost fell from the tree.

I jumped down to inspect the houses, slowly making my way to the pack house. I sniffed the air only to find faint scents. They were gone for a few weeks now, maybe a month.

How did I not notice?

How did I let them slip through my fingers?