Chapter 54

Aimee

Ashley trembled in Aimee's arms, as if in reaction to the sudden appearance of Cardinal Philip, who now stood next to Father Thomas.

The High Priest had raised the chalice above his head and was mumbling under his breath rocking back and forth. The black gaze of the cardinal brushed past him to the girl on the alter, then settled on Ashley.

The empty stare narrowed a moment as a toothy yellow grin flashed, revealing spike-like teeth. Before his evil gaze rose to her own eyes, the abomination smiled at her and winked. Aimee pulled in the Aura of Michael for protection as did Bex and Tiff, filling themselves with the Aura of Uriel, eyes burning in yellow fire.

Father Thomas stopped his mumbling suddenly and blinked his eyes open. Aimee didn't react, as she had already guessed, but the Gabriel soldiers shuffled and mumble anxiously behind her as the High Priest's eyes changed to a golden feline shape. Father Thomas was a seeker. A Hellhound of the Damned.

The cardinal chortled at the reaction of the soldiers, though his inky eyes did not leave hers.

"Great Lord Baal, the blood of Azrael is ready," stated the High Priest glancing nervously up at the Cardinal who still ignored him, smirking at Aimee.

So Baal has finally revealed himself...I must fulfil my destiny - my vocation, he must be sent back!

The Aura of Michael poured into her to bursting. Her grip tightened around Ardour, the weapon whispered in her ears demanding Daemon's blood.

"For the Great Lady Gabriel and the Order!" shouted a monk as he darted past Aimee towards Father Thomas who looked up in horror. The blue-cassocked warrior only made it as far as the dais before he staggered and fell to his knees clutching his throat. All eyes watched as the monk rolled and repeatedly began jerking his arms as his legs and head twitched as if in a seizure. He arched his back and then collapsed. Over within seconds.

Aimee clenched her teeth and started to adjust Ashley's weight to ease herself up, but Baal raised a hand and she paused, unsure of his intentions. His gaze was on the fallen Monk that rolled over and sat up and turned its hooded head in her direction. Blood-red eyes burned from within.

The remaining monks shuffled and mumbled prayers to Gabriel, as Bex leaned in and whispered.

"It is the liquid in the font. We have to somehow get it away...destroy it...somehow."

She was right, but how. Aimee didn't know if she were also at risk or that being a pure vessel to Lord Michael and Heaven, she was protected or immune, though her heart spoke to her. It was her duty to find out, she had to save that girl and protect the others.

Baal grinned a yellow smile and as if reading her mind, his inky stare dared her to come to see for herself, she nearly took the bait but for a hand resting on hers. Ashley tightened his grip and she answered by tightening hers. For a moment their hearts beat together as one. She squeezed as if it was the last time she would ever hold his hand and he opened his eyes, sparkling brown drops of magic, staring back into her soul. He smiled and her stomach churned and she became light-headed her vision blurring. She gathered her wayward emotions and steeled her heart. Now was not the time. She was lucky Ashley was in her arms or she may have fainted.

"I have to go...I have to end this, and know that only I can," he said, this time the voice was of the lost, young boy.

Baal narrowed his gaze on Ashley and quickly stared down at the great red leather book in his hands, tapping the cover with his index finger. The book opened by itself and Baal peered back at Aimee, grinning as if to see if she saw his magic trick.