Chapter 16

Aimee

Aimee shrugged with a soft sigh and placed a comforting hand on Emma's shoulder.

"Let him be, he needs time to adjust," she said.

"Time is something we don't have sister," Emma replied sharply.

They studied each other a moment before her sister pulled her into a warm comforting embrace.

"It's good to have you back," she whispered into Aimee's ear.

"Yes, it is good to be back...or rather back doing what I do best." Aimee shuddered, pushing away the memories of her cold damp cell. "Though I don't know how you managed it?"

"Faith sister...faith and Father David. He has always been an admirer of your work – your career. You are better out, saving the world than in a cell rotting...in his opinion."

Aimee snorted, dismissing the compliment

"And in your opinion, sister?"

Emma paused, her mouth compressing in a thin line. Aimee didn't wait.

"Forget it...I...I know I hurt you deeply and my betrayal is unforgivable. But I-"

Emma place her hand gently over Aimee's mouth and squeezed her nose playfully, just like she did when they were children.

"It is my burden to bear, not yours...I knew what my husband was, but could not do it, so with the love you have for me, you did what was...necessary."

The last word appeared to catch in Emma's mouth. Her eyes glistened in the light. Aimee gave her sister a doubtful look, trying to imagine the agony she went through and squeezed her hand, pulling her in close to kiss her cheek.

Aimee stared up into her sister's eyes, damp with unshed tears.

He was a Daemon sister, a Daemon...I had no choice...

"Anyway my beloved sister, you did what no one else could or would do and caused a rather major ruckus to Father Thomas's Holy house on Skye at the time. The locals of Portree will never have fireworks like that again," said Emma, with a grin.

She knew Emma was trying to lighten the mood but she saw the anger pass over her sister's eyes before she quickly regained composure.

"My only regret is the pain I cause you, sister," said Aimee. "And the loss of the captured High Priestess, but I did not deserve the punishment. I was used, as a pawn in the Holy Council's politics and failures. How was I to know that...that a High Priestess of Raphael was a prisoner of your Husbands? Why didn't Father Thomas know? For the love of Michael, it was in his damn forsaken Manor House. Has anyone asked him?" She tasted bile in her mouth, she tried to remember the name of the High Priestess. Her stomach clenched and her skin crawled at the memory of the explosion.

Elizabeth, Elizabeth Richards...

Aimee peered towards the bedroom where Ashley had sauntered off to.

Ashley Richards...

"Ex-husband, sister...Leave it in the past, Peter...my ex-husband made a choice and lost and he had to be stopped."

The pure fury in her sister's eyes troubled Aimee.

She quickly clasped her hands. "But if I had not been so arrogant and left so abruptly and searched the building, I would have found-"

"Enough...leave it be, back in the past where it will stay. And it will stay there sister!" Emma commanded, staring into Aimee's eyes.

I have not seen this side of her for a very long time...she must be in pain...