Chapter 40

Ash

"You! The harbinger! Nooooooo..." screamed Rogers, a piercing high pitch sound that made Ash cower away protecting his ears with his good hand. Then all became quiet...a silence so loud in contrast that Ash quivered in fear as he stared up at that familiar face...but with evil eyes. He just stared in pure bewilderment, waiting and wondering what he could do, what she would do...to him?

Rose...

"I thought as much...once a coward always a coward, crawl away and die you piece of filth, " shouted Rose shaking her head, tight golden curls falling across that face. Such a pretty face, a face that was a beacon in the darkness of his soul. How alive he became when she smiled...but those eyes, corrupted his memories, his mind. They did not match the rest of the face. The symbolism of those eyes bore a painful hole in Ash's heart and he spun away, to try and gather some strength and composure, wiping away his damps eyes on his arm.

She is the one in my dreams...how did I miss this?

He grinned, and traced a finger over his lips, remembering the kiss, just now, and in his memories, only for his bottom lip to tremble as he struggled to hold in the fear and sorrow within. Tears began to well in his eyes.

"Not quite the reaction I was hoping for. Though under the circumstances...maybe to be expected," she said, her voice soft and alluring.

One second she was meters away the next she was at his side, gently rubbing his back. If it wasn't for the contractions of his stomach, he might have pulled away from her but as he glanced over his shoulder, his friend had returned...eyes again glowing bottle green in the dim light, as radiant as usual.

How did I not see how beautiful she was?

Rose tilted her head to the side studying him, frowning in concern.

"Okay now? Any Better?" she asked, a cheeky smirk slipping onto her face.

It was contagious, she was contagious, he smiled back and gave a nervous chortle.

Rose raised an eyebrow in wonder, and then her face lit up, as she smiled in fullness.

Ash tensed as a high-piercing squeal echoed from the rooms above, Rose pulled him in closer and held him. For what seemed an age. He finally felt safe.

"Don't worry about him, his bark is way worse than his bite, Beelzebub...or Rogers as you know him is fleeing to his master, or most probably away from his Master. He fears him more than anything else."

"Master?" he asked. His voice broke and felt like he had chewed razor blades.

Her hand caressed his face and he leaned in against the warmth succumbing to the tingling sensations crackling across his skin, and closed his eyes, for reason unknown to him, it felt right, an ancient memory lingered in the back of his mind.

"Baal...is his master...and he is near, I can sense his corruption. He is haunting the shadows searching for you," she whispered in his ear, kissing his forehead.

He opened his eyes and Rose stared down at him, her gaze passive as she studied him hungrily, her lovely green liquid dreams devouring his face. He snatched her neck and pulled her in, lips firm and moist against hers...they fit perfectly to his.

She pulled away gasping for air and stared at him in awe. He shifted his body, eager for more.

Nothing matters, but...Emma...no Rose?

He felt the bottom of his lip tremble again as he dropped his hand from her face, shaking with emotion, to study the shadows on the stone floor. How quickly the guilt grew to overwhelm him.

He staggered to his feet and moved over to the cell bars, keeping his eyes low and away from her gaze. He leaned into the bars and peered into the darkness where he had thought his father was imprisoned. Embarrassed and confused with his mixed-up emotions churning within him, he was acting like a love-sick teenager. The taste of guilt lingered. He had kissed her...kissed Rose.

And enjoyed it...

He spun, his face burning like a furnace. If it wasn't the betrayal of Emma, it was the absurdity of the entire situation.

"I...I'm sorry." It was all he could manage before words evaporated from him.

I'm such a selfish bastard!

"Don't be an idiot Ashley, give yourself a break. What you have been through is taking its toll. I kissed you...if it makes you feel any better." He glanced up at her in surprise. This girl never stopped amazing him. She could read him so easily.

She blinked to his side again, catching him unawares, his breath caught in his throat. She peered up at him, her gaze longing and her scent intoxicating.

"I've...wanted to kiss you for a very...very long time, Ashley, longer than you even realise," she said, brushing his hair out from his eyes. Her hand lingered over his damaged hand and a warm tingling sensation eased in and around, dulling the pain until nothing remained but...Rose's eyes. She did have beautiful eyes. Like Emma's.

Emma...

He shook his head and pulled away from her.

"What is wrong with me Rose? I'm sorry, I can't, I don't love you!" he cried.