Chapter 45

Aimee

It was eerily quiet, a deafening silence that brought Aimee's teeth on edge. The rain had eased and the gusts of wind had settled down to a gentle breeze, though another evil storm still brewed above, and in front of her. Aimee was at her wit's end.

"I don't have time for this," Aimee snapped staring up at the tower and surveying the brick wall below, then systematically visioning her route from the large sash windows and up. If she levered herself up on the windows she could jump and grab the eves and flip over onto the roof.

"Are you even listening?"

Rebecca, Bex, grabbed her arm and Aimee knocked it away, ignoring the heated hiss from Tiff at touching the High Priest of Uriel. Aimee glared at the tiny woman, raising an eyebrow noticing she had remained in her maid's outfit.

"Oh calm the holy crap down, both of you!" she growled adjusting her gaze, squinting at the small yellowy ball of light at the top of Bex's staff, cascading a soft glow all around them.

"Do we need that bloody thing, we might as well shout out to the Daemons that we are here!" she growled trying to step past the dark-skinned beauty, to begin her ascent to the tower. Bex blocked her with her staff, her golden eyes frowning as they burned in frustration. She pulled away the hood of her honey-coloured cassock to let her deep brown ringlets fall impeccably to her shoulders. Aimee frowned in frustration at the perfection of her hair. Aimee thought she could see some golden highlights as well.

When did she get that done?

It suited her, emphasizing her large golden eyes. Aimee's hair needed something to tame the tangled mess...Super glue?

"Aimee, for the love of Uriel, just tell me what is going on. I can feel you...your grief. It is a beacon of pain, is Leon okay? I...I just can't sense him anymore, it is like he has been cut off from me." Aimee peered up into her eyes and sighed. She could relate to her worry, in more ways than one, but she, herself, was not ready to fall back into that dark place, she needed to stay in control. She cupped Bex's face and stared into those lovely golden eyes.

"He...he...is safe, and under the protection of Liana."

It wasn't a lie...My Lord Michael...It wasn't...please forgive me...

Bex pulled away, her eyes like huge fog lights in the shadows. Aimee raised a hand and shoved Tiff away as the tiny minx tried to intervene again. Bex raised a hand to calm Tiff as she growled up at Aimee, crouched like a cat, waiting to rip her throat out.

"You left him with her!" exclaimed Bex. "When...how...he's hurt, I felt that much until our link was severed. Why hasn't Emma healed him...where is she, I need to talk to her, I'm sure she would have something to say about that...that disgusting woman's involvement! Liana! Why!" Bex tapped her staff against Aimee's shoulder to ensure she had Aimee's attention as she reached out and felt the High Priestess's hair.

"What products do you use to keep it so perfect?" she asked. But Bex just stared back, her eyes flaring up in anger.

"Why isn't Emma with you?" she barked, knocking Aimee's hand away.

Maybe it was hearing her sister's name again, and again, over and over like a knife stabbing in her heart or just Bex's obnoxious tone, a switch clicked inside Aimee and she struggled to regain control. The intensity of the tugging from the tower above didn't help either, a constant nagging at the back of her skull. She spun back and cupped Bex's chin, squeezing to hold the Priestess's attention.

"She's gone, Emma was taken!" she bellowed, giving one last squeeze before dropping her grip and stomping over to the window to start her ascent. Bex followed her over, as did her lap dog Tiff, right behind her. Aimee moaned as the staff tapped her shoulder again.