Chapter Twenty 🤍

He coughed, not bothering to cover his mouth, and leaned on the door frame. "Hello, Sophie," he greeted in his edgy, creepy voice, making me feel uncomfortable.

"Hello, Mr. Robinson," I greeted nervously, forcing a smile and waving at him. He examined me and glanced behind me to see if anyone else was with me. "Just you here?" he asked.

I lied and nodded, "Yes. How are you?" I asked, though I didn't really care how he was.

"I'm fine. What do you want?" His voice was grumpy, no hint of happiness, as he crossed his arms.

"Let me guess... Samantha?" He raised his brow, giving me a fake smile. Then he dropped his smile and added, "She's busy."

"Can I see her? I just wanted to check up on her," I asked, though his expression didn't change, obviously he wasn't going to let me.

He shook his head, confirming my suspicion. "She's studying."

I tilted my head, feeling annoyed. "She hasn't been at school in weeks. What exactly is she studying?" I questioned him.

He stopped leaning on the door frame, appearing to get upset. "None of your business," he replied, sounding irritated.

I could smell alcohol on his breath. Peeking a little over his shoulder, I spotted countless bottles lying on the floor. He's been drinking. Poor Sam.

Then I spotted Alex's big old head peeking from the corner of the living room, followed by Elliot running towards the back stairs.

I almost stumbled. "Anything else you need help with?" Mr.Robinson asked.

I laughed nervously, waving my hands to keep his attention. "Uh, yes actually. I can't find a nearby store," I improvised.

He rolled his eyes, clearly seeing through my attempt to distract him. "You're not serious. You know the whole neighborhood," he stated bluntly.

"I haven't been outside in a while. I was really sick," I lied, faking a cough that sounded somewhat convincing.

"It's just a couple of blocks away." he said, then slammed the door in my face.

"Fucking bitch," I muttered frustratedly, sticking my middle finger at the door..

I ran over to the side of the house, searching for a window, but everything was closed. I wondered how Elliot and Alex got inside then.

With my experience of rock climbing from when I was younger, thanks to my brothers, I figured it should be easy to climb to Samantha's bedroom window.

I carefully placed my foot on the light box and began climbing my way up to Samantha's bedroom. Despite a few cuts along the way, I continued upward.

I hadn't done this in a while, so it was difficult. But eventually, I found her bedroom window, which wasn't too hard since she loves the color pink.

She was in there, of course, but to my surprise, she wasn't alone. Zane was there too. I wondered why he was in her bedroom.

The window was closed, with the curtain covering it slightly, but I managed to see what was happening inside.