Chapter Thirty-One 🤍

He pats my shoulder like before. "I'll contact you when I need you," he adds, then leaves me standing alone in the book aisle, holding onto the photo and books.

I crouched down, letting my books fall once more, gripping the photo tightly in my hand. I kept hitting my head and squeezing my eyes shut, repeating to myself, "Please, let this be a dream. Oh God, let this be a dream."

Something inside me was boiling, like it was ready to burst. I looked at the photo again, seeing this man making a fucking duck face while I slept next to him. What else does Nicholas have of us? How did he even get this? Is he a stalker?!

I slide my phone out of my skirt and check the time. It's 12:45 pm. I have a gym class... I feel a sense of dread. Can I even skip again? Like always, when I skip, he marks me present. Is that his way of repaying me for fucking him or something?

I sat down on the ground, feeling the coldness send shivers through my legs. Leaning against the bookshelf, I opened my book to read. It's my way of escaping from reality, from my own problems and mistakes.

Flipping through the pages of a book feels satisfying, like opening a door to a new world. Is it possible for me to leave behind my current world and wake up to something better?

My phone buzzes with a message, but I ignore it and focus on my book. It buzzes a few more times, irritating me. With an annoyed sigh, I grab my phone and open it to check my messages.

> Christian 👰🏻‍♂️
"Hi"
"Hi"
"Hi"
"Hi"
"HELLO?"
"Yo???"

It was Christian, one of my older brothers. I haven't seen him in about a year. He's mostly been out modeling and making big cash. It's surprising to see him messaging me after so long. Did he just randomly remember that he has a little sister?

> Christian 👰🏻‍♂️
"Sophieeee"

I stare at the messages. The last message I sent was "Stay safe, see you next week," but he never showed up and left me on read.

> Christian 👰🏻‍♂️
"i know you are reading my messages"

I bite my nail, debating whether I should respond or not.

> Sophie
"hi christian"
"what's up?"

> Christian 👰🏻‍♂️
"im coming home soon"

I looked at the message, thinking, "He can't be serious. I don't believe him."

> Sophie
"sure"

> Christian 👰🏻‍♂️
"You dont sound excited?"

> Sophie
"wat about mom? will she be coming back too?"

> Christian 👰🏻‍♂️
"she told me no"

Mhm, can't even face your daughter after leaving her for more than a year. Got it, Mom.

> Sophie
"wut about Isaac and Shawn?"

> Christian 👰🏻‍♂️
"maybe, im not sure"

> Sophie
"so what do you want me to say?"

> Christian 👰🏻‍♂️
"i dont know, hoping to see my little sister."

Why was this making me angrier than the whole blackmail issue?

> Sophie
"Welcome back home! 💗💗"
"is that what you wanted to hear?"