Chapter Thirty- Nine 🤍

His eyes swept over us before hurrying over and crouching down in front of us. His troubled expression showed he was struggling to articulate his thoughts.

As I lifted my head from Mya's shoulder, Zane appeared with a look of panic and fear. Perhaps terrified of what had happened today, thinking he could've lost another family member, being left all alone in this shitty world.

"Mya... Sophie." he began, taking a deep breath as he looked at the floor before meeting our eyes. "Are you both okay?" His gaze shifted from Mya to me, his hand gently reaching out to hold ours.

We nodded, unsure of what to say. His jaw tightened.

"I'm taking legal action against him." Zane said, Mya leaning forward upon hearing his words. "He's going to face the consequences for trying to assault my little sister." he was serious, his eyes narrowing with disgust.

He paused, looking down for a moment before meeting our gazes again. "He won't harm anyone else, not even Samantha." he added, his eyes fatigued with dark circles underneath.

When Zane and Mya were younger, their parents were alive. However, tragedy struck when a truck collided with their small car, taking both of their parents lives. Zane took on the responsibility of caring for his younger sister at a very young age.

Their relatives refused to care for them, so they were sent to an orphanage, forcing Zane to grow up quickly.

He took on multiple jobs while juggling school responsibilities, ensuring Mya had a happy childhood despite being just a kid himself.

They met Nathaniel at the orphanage, where he was aggressive, attacking anyone who approached him.

Zane took a patient approach with him, slowly building trust and promising to take him along when he and Mya eventually left the orphanage for good.

He juggled multiple jobs. Working as a waiter, surviving on tips from wives and young admirers. Tutoring, where he met Sam, cleaned, and took shifts at cafes to support himself, Mya, and Nathaniel.

Years later, meeting and graduating with my brothers. He had already achieved his Master's in architecture but was now taking some business classes.

"The real question is, are you okay?" Mya laughed, trying to lighten the mood. She tousled Zane's hair, making it even messier. Zane chuckled and ran a hand through his hair to fix it.

"Do I really look that bad?" he asked with a grin.

"Yes." Mya replied bluntly.

"No." I lied, trying to make him feel better. I shot Mya a glare. "You look great, Zane." I lied again, hoping to lift his spirits. He chuckled again and rose slowly from his crouch.

(Zane outfit, but imagine his shirt messy unbutton with his messy hair!)