Chapter 15: The Blackmail

"The key to victory lies more in manipulation and cooperation than in exceptional personal skills." - Yuval Noah Harari

Sarah's POV

I am having my usual hectic office day - reviewing documents and signing several papers that are already for approvals. I am currently reading the final guest list for the upcoming opening of the villa. My peaceful yet busy day at the office was interrupted when a certain someone barged in my office as if she had all the authority to do so.

"What are you doing here?" I started with a slight annoyance in my tone. She strode inside my office like a woman in her catwalk. This woman! What does she want right now?

"I need you to find me a boyfriend." She announced, no she commanded as if I am her paid servant. I am really startled by her presence, what more when she commanded that she needs me to find her a boyfriend. She must have gone crazy.

"Nababaliw kana ba?" I asked while still reviewing the papers that I've been reading earlier. Kung akala niya ay madadaan niya ako sa ganito para mapansin ko siya, but no I won't take the bait.

"No." Seryoso niyang sagot.

"Are you on drugs?"

"No."

"Drunk?"

"No! I am not."

"Good." Walang emosyon kong sagot. "Now, can you please get out? You've come to the wrong person. I don't have time to play your games so you better get going, as you can see I am busy. Please leave."

"Ah! My lovely Icy Sarah, now I love it when you are so damn angry because of me." She remarked like a sweet-naughty child as she advanced further, taking the chair in front of my desk.

"Ms. Lobete!" I call her out as I hand comb my hair due to a threatening headache. "I told you, stop playing games with me!" I repeated myself while glaring at her.

"Hey! You'll kill me with the way you look at me." She held her hands up like someone who just surrendered. "I'm not here for games. I just need your help, Sarah."

"What help?" I asked in annoyance.

She smiled a little bit. "I need you to find me a boyfriend.

"Get out, will you? You've lost your bloody mind."

She shrugs in resignation. "I'm serious here, Sarah. I need your help."

"Do you know what my job is?" I asked, I really don't understand why it's so difficult to have a conversation with her this time.

"Yes, the CEO of this company."

"Exactly, I'm a CEO. I am no match maker, Ms. Lobete! Go find somebody else to do the job for you." Pagtataboy ko sa kanya. Ang hirap niyang kausap! Why the hell is she insisting on something for me to do?

"Why so formal, Sarah? I have a given name you know."

"Ahh! Miss." I said in disagreement. "I only address someone by their given names if they're friends of mine and we are not." Mataray kong sagot sa kanya.

"We're friends, right? You told me before. Let me remind you, it was at the opening party..."

I cut her off immediately. "I don't remember. Sorry." As I don't want to be reminded of how her lies unfold.

"Whatever, still we are friends. Truly, Sarah, I won't bother you if I am not in this dilemma." Kunwari niyang pagmamakaawa.

"Why don't you get someone that is a matchmaker in the first place?" Pangangatwiran ko sa kanya. Hindi ko talaga siya maintindihan bakit ako ang pinapahanap niya ng boyfriend for herself. Sira ulo talaga tong babaeng to! Sweet Lord!