Cold Feet

~Harley's POV~

"Harleen!"

"Hmm? Oh-Uhh Hi Johnny...." Drat. I thought I successfully avoided him all day. Well until now that is, Lunch block. Although half way through the day wasn't bad. I needed an excuse for my avoidance so I spoke the first thing that came to my mind. "Sorry I broke my phone." The words quickly left my lips, it sounded like an obvious lie. My face felt warm as a light blush came across it. He gave me a strange look, I tried to explain further, "uhh-Eddie told me how you were trying to get ahold of me this weekend." A smile at the end, as if that makes anything better.

He nods, getting into the lunch line. I follow him, picking up a green tray from the rack. Honestly, I really have to start packing my lunch. I swear this stuff is like prison food. The moment I sit back down, I will put a sticky note on my binder for tomorrow morning. "Yeah, he told me." Jonathan spoke casually, being kind. He didn't seem insulted at the fact I totally ditched him at Selina's party. Johnny adjusted his spectacles, turning his head to face me. "You're okay though, right?"

Awe, was he concern for my well being or just being nice. Crap, why am I taking this long pause to think. What should I say! Think Harleen, Think. "Of course, why wouldn't I be?" The words fumble out of my mouth. Talk about embarrassing.

"No reason."

Before I could make even more of a fool of myself, a tiny nerd with bright ruffled orange hair bolted down the halls. Notes and miscellaneous paper flew out from Eddie's books. My first guess was he was running away from a bully like Deigo yet no one followed him. Eddie had a cocky grin on his face, "Did you hear the news?"

Jonathan sighed, "Edward you've already told me." His voice was beginning to sound a bit annoyed with his good friend. Eddie looked over to me to see if I understood and for once I did. Usually their conversations went over my head or I tuned out because I honestly don't care about Riddles. But this time? This time I was actually excited for it, Eddie was about to inform us all of the halloween ball. I heard Pamela talking about it in biology. It's a dance where everyone dresses up and there are games, punch, and after parties.

Let me say, knowing something before Eddie was a wonderful thing because for the first time yet I was able to not be surprised by the puzzling boy's actions. "Yes! About homecoming and its theme!?!" I squealed happily. Both boys generated the same confused expression on their face, "What?" A pile of slop was dropped on the tray before me. Maybe it was chicken, or mashed potatoes. "Wasn't that what you two were talking about?"

"No." Both boys said simultaneously.

"Oh."

Edward smirked, pushing up the rim of his glasses. "The Mayor has passed a petition to open the old Asylum again."

"Arkham?" I gasp, wondering how soon I could possibly apply for an internship. High school? college? "I thought they've been road blocking the project for years." I may not be from Gotham but it was no secret that Arkham was a project of the Waynes. The two sounded like royals of Gotham from what everyone said about them. The project just got tossed aside when the two billionaires past away. No matter the case, if Arkham were to re-open that would give me perfect positioning for work. Imagine, me, Dr. Harleen Frances Quinzel becoming some sort of evaluating doctor or therapist there. Having a study to myself, getting to know each patient as I figure out why they did whatever it was to get them here and help them. Sure, they would most likely tell me to wait a few years but the moment I'm old enough the world will have the greatest doctor and author on there hands. What? A doctor has to make her living some way. "When is it opening?"

"Who knows?" Johnny shrugged, not really seeming that excited about it.

"A least a year or two, for now they are just going to send the over crowded psych inmates there."