Chapter 9

[Draco]

He insisted that Harry leave the mug as it was when he finished. He carried both mugs in a tray into the kitchen while Harry went upstairs to gather his things.

He muttered scourgify lazily at the both of them and walked out, seeing Harry at the foot of the staircase.

He gave him a shy smile he rarely saw. "Just wanted to say thanks before I go."

Draco nodded. "I'll walk you to the door."

Harry followed him across the dining room to the living room. Draco opened the door. They lingered at the doorway.

They were inches away from each other. His heart was pounding fiercely against his chest.

"So... I guess this is it." Harry tilted his head to look up at him. His cheeks were light pink, which made Draco's heart flutter.

"I suppose so," he replied, without any dripping sarcasm.

"Thanks for having me over."

"I believe it wasn't an invite as much as rescuing a seemingly dead body at the park, Potter," he retorted.

Harry laughed. A hearty and genuine laugh he had only heard distantly, coming from the Gryffindor table in the dining hall.

"You are welcome to stay over if you need to," Harry said, as a matter-of-factly.

He was a little taken aback but quickly composed himself.

"Thanks, Potter, but I can assure you I would never go lying on the grass at whichever park your nearest to." He gave him a half-smirk.

Harry laughed again, this time a little louder. It sounded like music to Draco's ears.

"Bye." Harry left the doorway, accidentally brushing his fingertips against his. He inhaled sharply but barely audibly as their skin collided.

But then he was gone. He could only watch in silence as Harry strolled down the pavement, disappearing into the crowd far, far away to even catch a glimpse.

[Harry]

Harry finished his coffee and left the mug as he was instructed to. He went upstairs to gather his things- well, thing. Ron's coat. He didn't really bring anything with him when he left the house yesterday.

He descended downstairs, seeing that the kitchen door was still shut. He lingered for a moment until it opened.

He felt shy all of a sudden, with Draco in front of him.

"Just wanted to say thanks before I go." Harry smiled out of the shyness. He blinked to steady himself.

Draco gave him a curt nod. "I'll walk you to the door."

He followed him through the rooms, his head spinning just slightly. When Draco turned the knob and the door swung loose, he realized he dreaded leaving. With Draco's robes inches away from him, he was suddenly aware of how close they were.

"So... I guess this is it." Harry lifted his head to look Draco in his eyes, dissolved in the silver mass. He can feel himself blush but figured any way to hide it now would most definitely be a failed attempt.

"I suppose so." Draco's reply was flat without any daggers shooting at him. Harry thought he sensed a teensy bit of disappointment but decided it was just his stupid brains messing with him.

"Thanks for having me over," Harry said in an effort to prolong this conversation.

"I believe it wasn't an invite as much as rescuing a seemingly dead body at the park, Potter." Draco was back to his usual self. He laughed at the comment.

Before he could stop himself, the stupidest sentence he could ever imagine slipped.

"You are welcome to stay over if you need to," he blurted out.

So that's what they call instant regret.

That only makes sense though, he thought as he tried to console himself. He stayed here free for a night; it was only reasonable to repay the favor. He tried to remain calm at Draco's mild surprise.

"Thanks, Potter, but I can assure you I would never go lying on the grass at whichever park your nearest to." Thank Merlin, he let it slip easily.

He laughed again, a half-grateful laugh for Draco letting the stupid comment pass without too much thought.

As much as he didn't want to say it, he had to.

"Bye." He felt a pang of sadness as the word slipped out.

He tried to walk away bravely without a second thought. That was shattered when his fingers accidentally brushed up against Draco's. He felt something surge through his body like an electric shock. His skin was so soft... even if he was only touching a tiny fraction of it...

He woke from the indescribable swirl of emotions. This is bad. He painfully tore his eyes away from Draco's and swiftly turned on his heels. He left without a further glance, with a sore heart.

He was too distracted to notice there wasn't any sound of Draco's door closing, even as he got to the end of the busy street.