𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 18.

She blinked, slowly waking up and she could feel the cold air coming from the open window brush against her face.

She wasn't cold though. She felt warm even.

Her eyes finally opened and immediately widened when she realized where she was. She was sitting next to Joel and her head was resting on his shoulder. She didn't even know when he came to sleep there.

Slowly she started to remove her head from him before looking to her other side at Sam who was still sleeping.

"Could you wake them up? I need to get my stuff ready." She heard Henry say from the other side of the room as he grabbed his backpack.

"Sure." Makayla mumbled, straightening up in her seat before nudging Sam a little.

"Sam.." she spoke when he wasn't waking up and his eyes finally fluttered open.

"Now?" Sam asked rubbing his eyes and Makayla nodded. He stood up after a few seconds and started to function.

Makayla's gaze then moved to Joel. He seemed to be in a deep sleep for once, with his head resting against the wall and his hands in his crotch.

Makayla shook him by his shoulder gently and his eyes as if shot open on command. He looked up at her.

"He says it's time to go." Makayla said and after a few seconds he nodded and looked around.

After they've got ready they all stood in the room prepared.

"We're gonna be moving fast so no matter what, you need to stick to me like glue. Understand?" Henry grabbed Sam by his shoulders.

"Like glue." Sam nodded making Henry smile and nod, "Good good." He patted his back.

"Alright, ya'll ready?" Henry looked at Makayla and Joel.

"Yeah." Joel answered for both of them.

Henry nodded and opened the door, leading the way down a hallway.

"You've tried this before?" Joel asked from behind Makayla as they followed Henry.

"Uh, yeah."

"That's comforting." Joel replied ironically.

"Relax, old man." Henry said playfully.

"I just hope you know the way."

They got down and Henry crouched as he was about to open the exit door so they all did the same.

They walked into a room that looked like a shop and they could already hear two hunters being inside, probably trying to find supplies.

Both Joel and Henry went first, sneaking up on them and at the same tome they grabbed them from behind and killed them, clearing the room.

"Take what you need." Henry ordered and looked out. There was the checkpoint and the gate. All they had to do was to get through.

"I'll follow your lead." Henry looked at Joel and Joel nodded, going first.

They sneaked out of the shop, hiding behind a truck. 

"There's no way we can get past them without having to kill them." Makayla declared.

"Yeah." Henry said a bit unsure about the situation, just hoping it would work out.

Two hunters were on the ground, pacing around and another four of them were up on the platform in front of the gate.

"Let's get closer." Joel said and started leading the way, hiding behind things until he spotted one hunter close to him. He walked closer, quietly, grabing him from behind and snapping his neck. The other hunter fell to the ground as an arrow penetrated his neck. Makayla's work.

Joel then lit molotov and aimed it upwards, throwing it at those four.

The fire lit up, blinding their eyes as those hunters started screaming for their lives.

"Alright let's go!" Henry called out and they ran to the gate. Him and Joel pushed the gate open. There was a truck with a half ladder hanging from the top and a garage.

They ran up to the truck and Joel positioned himself under it.

"Alright check it out." He commanded and boosted Henry up.

"We're good, Sam, let's go!" He said and Sam was the second one to be boosted up but the ladder started to shake under his feet.

"The ladder's gonna fall off." Makayla looked at Joel with worry in her eyes.

"Hurry!" He shouted and she did as he said. Je boosted her and she managed to get on the truck but just as she said the ladder broke and fell down.

"We gotta get him up." Makayla looked at Henry and they heard loud rumbling. They were trying to break through the gate with the truck.

Henry looked around nervously before looking at Makayla, "I'm sorry. We're leaving. Sam now!" He dragged Sam with him and they started running away.

"What the fuck Henry!" Makayla screamed after them and looked down at Joel who was already creating a plan B in his head as she jumped down to him.

"We stick together." She said and he looked at her for a split second before running to the garage door.

He grabbed onto them and started lifting them up with a loud groan.

"C'mon into the building let's go!" Joel shouted as she got through and held the garage door for him to do the same and they started running to the exit of the building.

"The bridge!" Makayla screamed as soon as she saw the bridge in front of them when they finally got out.

The truck suddenly broke through the fence next to them making them alerted as they both sprinted to the bridge.

"Joel!" Makayla screamed to make sure he was still there since she was at the front and they were already firing at them.

"Just run!" Joel screamed back and she did as he said while he was sprinting after her.

There was a bunch of cars on the bridge so they had to make their way through while the truck was still close behind them.

They hid behind a bus when they noticed the bridge was completely wrecked and there was no chance of getting to the other side.

"How many bullets do you have left?" Joel asked, looking around.

"They're gonna kill us!"

"What other choice do we have?!"

"We jump!" Makayla pointed to the river below them.

"No it's too high and there's too many rocks. I'll boost you up and you'll run past them."

The truck suddenly barged into the bus, pushing it forward.

"Joel we have to."

"Kayla," he warned her and she turned to look down at the river.

"No time to argue." Were her last words before she jumped.

"Kayla! Ah damn it!" Joel cursed and had no other choice but to jump after her.

The water was dragging them quickly since the flow was too strong.

Joel managed to swim faster to get a hold of Makayla and just as he did he noticed a big rock in front of them so he turned around with her against his chest and as he hit the rock with his back it knocked him out.