Chapter 38

The eyes of Harold Berman shot open many times that Sunday night, and well into the early Monday morning. Each time, he would snatch his alarm clock, whine when it wasn't the time he had wanted, slam it back down on his night stand and roll over in frustration. Needless to say, he did not get very good sleep that night, but despite that, the moment that alarm beeped for him to get ready for school, the bedroom floor was not prepared for him to leap up and out, shaking the house slightly.

"Finally!" He shouted as he dashed to get his clothes on.

It was unusual for him to be excited for school, however it wasn't exactly school he was excited for. In fact, he wasn't excited at all, but rather anxious to finally tell his friends about Wolfgang and Ludwig's dare. He deliberated what he would say to them, while he brushed his teeth. He went back and forth on the details he might share, while he wolfed down his breakfast. He even walked a little faster on his trip to the school, but not so fast as to give himself a belly cramp.

The moment P.S 118 was in his sights, the large boy heaved a sigh of relief and walked on up the steps. He waited in front of the open doors until he could see Sid and Stinky in the distance.

"Guys!" He yelled as he eagerly ran down the steps, waving his arms so that they would see him. "Guys!"

The two stopped and waited for him to approach, both looking very confused as it was very unusual for him to be in a rush at all.

"What's got you running like the devil is hot on your tail?" Asked Stinky, looking mildly amused.

"I need... You guys... To... Sleep over... This weekend..." He managed to get out between breaths. "It's important!"

"This weekend?" Sid looked between the two. "What's so special about this weekend?" The short, stringy haired kid then paused and looked skeptical. "You're not trying to get us to help you with the chores you have backed up like last time, are you? Because I'm definitely not falling for that again!" He began to shake his head from side to side and crossed his arms. "No way, no how! I don't care if you managed to get the new Zombie City 6 game! I am not helping you scrub your shower!"

"Shut up!" Harold bellowed out. "It doesn't have anything to do with chores! Honest!"

"You ain't trying to get us to come watch another one of them dang girly films with your mom again, are you?" Stinky frowned and looked uncomfortable. "I mean, I like your mom in all but I draw the line there. If I need tips on courting a lady, it won't be from some old movie."

Harold let out a loud whine and stomped his foot on the ground, his face turning red with frustration. "No, No! It has nothing to do with that and that only happened one time!" He insisted desperately, causing the two to give each other looks of doubt. "Look, I just need you guys to sleep over my house and help me find something! It's something very important and if I don't find it, my mom will kill me!"

"Have you tried cleaning your room?" Stinky asked, remembering how cluttered it was the last time he'd seen it.

"Maybe it's in your closet?" Suggested Sid. "Either way, I still don't see how we would need an entire weekend to help you look for it. Your house maybe bigger than mine, but it's not THAT big."

"It's not in my house!" Harold cried out, tugging on his shirt. "It's at... some other place!"

Stinky sighed and shook his head. "I'd like to help, Harold, but I promised my cousin Squeaky that I'd help her make something for some assigned school project."

"Yeah, and I just don't feel like it would be a good use of my time." Sid agreed, unsympathetically. "Sorry, Harold."

Harold began to panic as he watched his two friends begin to walk towards the school once more. "Wait!" He shouted as he ran after them. "This is really important and I promise to never ask you to help me with something ever again, if you just help me this one time!"