Chapter 12

In front of the studio, Mr. Johansson had engaged Phil into some talks of politics while Gerald rested his back up against the Packard, legs and arms crossed with an expression of pure annoyance. He had expressed his feelings to his dad more than once that morning about how he didn't need to accompany them; however his father had completely disagreed the moment he saw which street they'd be on. It was luck that Arnold's grandpa would be there as Martin Johansson would have attached himself to the kid every step of the way.

"And can you believe what the governor is doing?" Martin asked as he rested his forearm against the car's door. "As if this city wasn't falling apart at the seams, she is just letting go half of our state's major contractors!"

Phil shook his head. His wife had always kept him up to date with everything going on with the world and this wasn't the first of him hearing such news. "Yeah... it's a shame everything is going to waste now. Back in my day, everything had such color and flare. You could see life wherever you went and now..."

"Now the whole city is becoming a waste land." Martin said, finishing Phil's sentence. "More and more shops are closing up and moving away due to the high cost of rent. Small mom and pop shops can't seem to stay open anymore! And it's the same for neighboring cities as well."

Scratching his bald head, the elderly man gave a grim expression before sparking back to light. "Hey! Why don't you run for governor then?" He asked inquisitively.

"Me?!" Mr. Johansson took a step back in shock. "What makes you think I could do something like that?"

"Well you have all these really great ideas so why the heck not?" Phil said half jokingly. "If you really want something to change, your next step is to make efforts and if your efforts aren't getting ya anywhere then... why not climb on into the big boy's chair?"

Martin pondered a moment, taking the suggestion into heavy consideration. The man's words were a compliment; however he couldn't help but think of the major consequences' that followed such a power of position. "No... I couldn't do that. I have to make sure my family is well provided for first before I could sacrifice my time like that." He responded to Phil, looking over at his still agitated son. "Family must always come first."

"Of course they do but wouldn't you be helping them in the long run?" Phil mused, now just entertaining the thought. He had known Martin for a long time as he was his grandson's best friend's father. He knew that Martin was all about family and responsibility but he also knew that he had a good understanding of his own limits. He wasn't the type of man who would bite off more than he could chew.

"Sadly, I'll have to decline your offer Phil." The middle aged man smiled. "However I appreciate the thought." With an exasperated sigh, Martin looked down the dirty street in front of them. "I'll just have to continue writing letters to congress in hopes someone will listen."

"There ya go." Phil nodded. "Someone some where's gotta be getting them." He encouraged half heartedly.

Gerald let out a groan and straightened himself back up. "Will you just go now?" He whined. "As you can see Arnold's grandpa is here to 'chaperone' us. You can go home and write that letter. Whatcha say, Dad?"

Adjusting his glasses, Martin looked sharply down at his son. "I'll say that you need to start speaking to me with respect, young man." He scolded. "I made it clear the moment we got here that I'd be sticking around. No young children need to be roaming around this part of the city, especially unsupervised. It's great that Phil is here and I'll accompany him in waiting for you all to be done. Is that clear?" His face was stern as well as his body unmovable.