Chapter ten: Glen.

//THIS CHAPTER HAS MAJOR HOMOPHOBIA AND HOMOPHOBIC SLURS, AND ABUSE BUT THAT'S A GIVEN AT THIS POINT. I GIVE YOU FULL PERMISSION TO SKIP IF YOU WANT (I can reclaim any slurs used in this chapter, I'm not a bigot)//

Max sat in his room listening to his parents argue. He heard bottles breaking and things being thrown. Bat layed next to him, they were both scared of what was going to happen. Suddenly everything stopped. Max ran over to his closet and hid. Footsteps were walking up the stairs, his dad's footsteps. Max covered his mouth trying not to make any noise.

"Maxwell where the hell are you." His father yelled. He threw open his bedroom door. He was drunk. Max pushed himself in the furthest corner of his closet. He heard things getting thrown around in his room. His closet door swung open and everything went dark.

He woke up in a cold sweat in his room. He was hyperventilating trying to catch his breath. He pushed himself against his wall trying to calm himself down. He checked his phone. 3:27. It was the middle of the night. He looked around his room to make sure he was safe. He was in David's house, not his father's. He calmed himself down.

Max got up out of bed quietly and walked down to the kitchen. He poured himself a glass of water. He stood in the kitchen for a while after drinking his water, he was still scared from his dream. Riley walked up to Max and started licking his arm. Max bent down to pet her. He heard footsteps coming down the stairs and ducked under the island.

"Max, are you down here?" David asked groggily. Max uncovered his mouth and stood up.

"Yeah I was just getting water I'll be back in my room in no time." Max said quietly. David nodded in the darkness and went back upstairs. Max let out a few breaths and pet Riley goodnight. He took care of his cup and went back upstairs.

When he got back up to his room he flopped on his bed. He ran his fingers over his now scabbed and scarred cuts. The massive one was almost still felt wet but Max was just hallucinating. He sat up in bed and watched out the window. He was used to it being loud outside at night, back with his parents he lived in a city, a small city, but still a city. This was still technically a city but not as loud as it was back with his parents. He watched the cars drive below him. People were walking outside despite it being 3:46 in the morning.

There was a small section of flat roof outside his window. He decided to go out there and check it out, Bat wasn't in his room anymore so he didn't have to worry about her getting out. He quietly opened the window and crawled outside. He closed the window slightly to see if he could open it from the outside. He could, it was a very smooth moving window. He layed down on the roof and watched the sky.

He must have fallen asleep because he woke up to the sun beating down on him. Shit. He thought. He opened the window and crawled inside. He got scratched by a nail on the window. His hand was bleeding but he ignored it and finished crawling inside. He closed the window as quietly as possible and walked downstairs. He walked downstairs quietly.

"Good morning Max." David said loudly. Max jumped at the unexpected greeting.

"Morning." Max said and walked over to the island to sit. He studied the cut on his hand as he walked, blood was running down his hand at this point. Fuck fuck fuck fuck. Max turned around and walked back upstairs.

"Where you off too?" David asked. Max turned around quickly.

"Bathroom." He said dully. David looked confused for a second but turned back around and continued cooking. Max went into the bathroom and grabbed a wad of toilet paper. He pressed on the cut on his hand for a couple minutes and threw the paper in the toilet. He flushed and rinsed off his hand.